Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help

nettee0

I need help

Hello, I have just found this site. I have and am suffering with depression and anxiety for many years, on and off, although have been taking medication all the time. Just recently, I have slipped into another bout of it and it feels worse than ever. I have asked my GP about alternative medication maybe helping me more, and he has added diazepam 2mg to the Venlafaxine I have taken for years. I retired from work a couple of years ago as I could not cope with the stress and responsibility any more, but have tried a couple of temporary jobs since then, both lasting three months before I felt I could not cope any longer. In the last few days I have contacted my local mental health team and am on the waiting list for CBT, although I have had this before and found it really hard going. I have been told if I don't feel it is helping me, I can switch to counselling. I am home most of the time on my own as my husband works. He has seen me like this many times over the years and is not very empathetic. He just says I need a job, but at the moment, although I do trawl the internet for local jobs, there is not one I feel I could do and, even if I found one, do not have the confidence to apply. I have shutdown from friends and family as I do not want to be a burden, and suicidal thoughts have entered my mind, for the first time. I just feel a complete failure and have no purpose. I cannot eat or do basic tasks at home. Everything just seems pointless. I hope I have posted this I the right place.

Hello nettee, I’m so sorry you’re struggling at the moment. When did you last speak to your doctor?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Hi and welcome to DWD.
    Sweetheart you sound in so much pain . Talking to us can help. We understand at least parts of what you are saying.

Can you focus on the basics - get up, get washed, get dressed, take meds, eat and drink?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Hi and welcome to DWD. You are amongst friends here, well done for reaching out to us
    One day at a time ....😃

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arty For This Useful Post:

nettee0
    Hi Suzi, thank you. I can get up and out of bed when my husband tells me it is time to, otherwise I think I could stay there all day. Sounds awful, but some days I can't be bothered to wash, but I get dressed and take my meds. I do drink lots of warm drinks, but not really eating.

nettee0
    Hi Paula, On Wednesday. He is referring me for therapy, but it could take a couple of months to see a therapist.

nettee0
    Thank you, Arty. As I am sure you know, it is hard to talk to people (even my husband) who cannot relate to this.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nettee0 View Post
    Hi Suzi, thank you. I can get up and out of bed when my husband tells me it is time to, otherwise I think I could stay there all day. Sounds awful, but some days I can't be bothered to wash, but I get dressed and take my meds. I do drink lots of warm drinks, but not really eating.
    It doesn't sound awful at all. It's fairly common for depression to affect self-care. Could you try and eat little things that might take your fancy? Just so you're having something?
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Doesn't sound awful at all. It sounds like any other symptom of depression - horrible for you to deal with...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

nettee0
    Hi Jaquaia, thank you. There is nothing I fancy to eat. I do try, but as soon as the food is in my mouth, I start to feel sick and cannot swallow it. I do manage the odd cuppa soup, not nutritional, but something to slip down.