Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh Start

I completely understand - would you do me a favour though and promise not to read them when you are alone with no support? I think it'd be very, very emotional and challenging to read.
    There's only us, There's only this, Forget regret, Or life is your to miss,
    No other road, No other way, No day but today. (Rent. Jonathan Larson)

Moderator of Awesomeness magie06's Avatar
    Like I said, the rules around getting your mental health records are different to getting physical health records. I may not get them at all.

You might not, but promise me anyway.....
    There's only us, There's only this, Forget regret, Or life is your to miss,
    No other road, No other way, No day but today. (Rent. Jonathan Larson)

Yes. I promise. I told Gerry this afternoon what I was looking for them for and he said that he'd read them for me if I need him to. Of course I won't know I need him to read them until I know what's in them!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

Suzi (13-01-18)

I only found out fairly recently that my diagnosis on record was bipolar. It did upset me but I decided that it actually didn’t change my treatment anyway so I left it. Though I can understand why you’d want to know if having ECT was really the only option at that time .....
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe

I know that my treatment was the best that was available at the time. I trust the doctors but I did explain that if I was put under one particular doctor's care again that I would find it very, very difficult. The only reason I would refuse to be treated by that doctor again was because they recommended I have ECT. I would rather die than go through that again. I really don't mind the bipolar diagnosis, I'm not receiving treatment for it any longer. The only treatment that I'm having is the antidepressant. The mood stabilisers have been stopped.

So, playing devils advocate, what do you hope to achieve by getting the records?
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe

In some sense it may be best not to get and read the notes/records of your past treatment as it may rake up the past and bring to the forefront issues that have long since been buried and forgotten, just my thoughts Magie. You're doing so well and have got your life back together so let the past stay in the past.
    71 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

I actually get it. Right now you probably think everyone else knows more about you than you do yourself and although labels aren’t always nice having bipolar mentioned when you were unaware of the diagnosis is a bit like someone pinning a ‘kick me’ sign on your back. Sometimes knowing when that diagnosis was made might explain things and help you to understand. If I were you I think I would wanna know.
    When someone told me I lived in a fantasy land I nearly fell off my unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    So, playing devils advocate, what do you hope to achieve by getting the records?
    I would really love to know what's been written down about me. Because of the ECT my memory from my time in hospital is very hazy. What I can remember is very different from the reality. I was in hospital in July, but I only remember my September admission. I was also in and out of hospital at the time and I only remember going in September and not coming home again until January. I would just like to read my notes and see what exactly is there.