Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toxic relationship?

Where were you meant to be going for Christmas?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (23-12-17)

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Adding to Magie’s comment, why would you keep yourself away from all your family for the sake of one member? I have social anxiety but I love my family and, even at my worst, couldn’t keep away from them
    Thanks guys for all the comments.

I was supposed to see my other sister down in Sussex. Probably still will go. As you say, why let someone effect my plans. Just an exacerbation of my symptoms as I was improving until then. I get social anxiety always, even when seeing members of my family who I like. The worse the depression is the worse the SA. I'm quite a loner and find relationships complex and stressful which is a big issue.

I just can't fathom why a family member intentionally hurts someone with an illness. Definition of nasty and vile. Why can't people just be pleasant in life or not speak at all.

Plus I'd just given her a Xmas card, offered to do her shopping as she hurt her arm, offered to do diy jobs in her flat and last month drove her 400 miles round the country for her friend to transport a cat.

I'm flummoxed.

I can't understand it either. The only person I can honestly say I hate is a sibling of mine....

Hope you have a good time no matter what..

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    I can't understand it either. The only person I can honestly say I hate is a sibling of mine....

Hope you have a good time no matter what..
    Thanks Suzy. You too honey.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattypompy For This Useful Post:

Suzi (24-12-17)

Hi folks. Hope you're all OK.

I eventually went to my sister's for Xmas. It was OK but I was never relaxed there. Had a lot of constant anxiety and coped by drinking. I just can't stop ruminating over negative things. I cannot control it. I've been so anxious all day barely unable to move from the sofa on the edge of tears too. Really coming apart. I'll try and get to my GP but my motivation is so low now. I'm beginning to not care anymore. I think the alcohol has diminished the efficacy of my ADs so am going to go on the wagon for a while. I feel just so sensitive to anything that goes wrong or criticisms. It's like my self esteem is like an eggshell. I'm lost..

Well done for going to your sisters, that took a lot of courage. I’m so sorry, though, that you’re struggling. It is a hard time of year for many, not least because of the disruption in routine. What are your plans for today? Please try to make an appointment with your GP, and please try to tell them what you’ve told us here
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (04-01-18)

Well done lovely.
    It's really hard, but you do need to try to stop each negative and counter it with a positive. It's almost impossible at first, but you can do it and with practise it does get easier.
    The other really good exercise to do is to end each day thinking of 3 positives in that day. It might be "got up," "got dressed," "took meds" but eventually those will develop so those aren't your 3 main areas to focus on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (04-01-18)

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Well done for going to your sisters, that took a lot of courage. I’m so sorry, though, that you’re struggling. It is a hard time of year for many, not least because of the disruption in routine. What are your plans for today? Please try to make an appointment with your GP, and please try to tell them what you’ve told us here
    Hey Paula. Thank you so much for caring to reply, so generous of spirit. Today was a bit better. Managed to get out of the flat. I will make an appointment with GP if I he worse. I think maybe seeing the cmhs may help. I know its like pulling teeth getting a referral and when one is labile and listless it's doubly difficult. Seeing a CPN once a week would help. I'm just so sensitive, I hate this illness. It runs in my family. It eviscerates one's soul.

Thanks again