Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New

Depression has an impact on our moods, our temperament, our outlook on life. We act differently to our real selves and often hurt our loved ones as a result. A lot of relationships break up but, I believe, the key to sustaining our relationships is honesty and, importantly, being able to accept responsibility for our actions - it’s easy to say ‘it’s the depression’ but that can’t be a get out clause for causing our loved ones pain. Perhaps you and your wife need to talk about what went wrong and how you can both work together to resolve the hurt?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Have you thought about couples counselling - something like Relate?
    Paula is right - as someone in your wife's position - "it wasn't me, it was the depression" doesn't actually mean much. Saying you are sorry, acknowledging that things have gone wrong and your part in that but also telling her that you want to work through it. Be honest. Be genuine.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Have you thought about couples counselling - something like Relate?
    Paula is right - as someone in your wife's position - "it wasn't me, it was the depression" doesn't actually mean much. Saying you are sorry, acknowledging that things have gone wrong and your part in that but also telling her that you want to work through it. Be honest. Be genuine.
    Hi thanks for replying I would love to go to relate with her I have got counselling on my own for the depression and it is good I've told her I'm sorry I genuinely am I ve only just realised what she has put up with for all these years and how much I really do love her but all she says is she needs space and time on her own I desperately want to save our marriage

Maybe the way to save it is to listen and give her time...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!