Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Don't know where to turn or what to do

Ovalbug
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike View Post
    Sexual dysfunction seems quite a common side effect with AD and for some one my age who lives alone the fact I'm pretty much none functioning in that department doesn't seem to matter. But you being much younger and in a relationship I can see how it would adversely affect you. I'm no doctor but have you asked your GP if there are any AD's which don't affect you so much in that department?
    It's massively important to me and one of the few thing I can get any kind of pleasure from - I cannot allow that to be removed.

The only one (available in the UK) that is known not to provoke dysfunction is Mirtazapine, which I was on for 6 months. Great for anxiety, did nothing at all for depression and actually made me angry and irritable all the time. No fun for anyone.

I get that different people react to different meds in different ways - it's just that all those I've tried so far had the same dysfunctional effect, as effectively they impact serotonin levels, which is the proximate cause for the dysfunction.

The fact that Sertraline was top of their recommended list, and a quick Google search, along with all the data from NICE confirms that sexual dysfunction is right at the top of the 'most wanted list' tells me they're not taking me seriously, or simply don't have anywhere else to go with the meds.

I'll give it some thought and maybe try it, but I can't help anticipating that it will cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    My husband didn't think that his last lot of therapy was going to help. He went along purely and simply to "cross it off the list and say I've tried it" and actually it's been a massive help. Don't write it off before you've even got there - but things like therapy only help if you're prepared to work hard at it.
    I will keep an open mind and try.
    Last edited by Suzi; 23-05-18 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Merging posts. Please try not to double post minutes apart. Thanks!

They do have other options, but it's often best to try the more tried and tested ones....
    Also most other people would rather not have the depression rather than sex tbh..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Ovalbug
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    They do have other options, but it's often best to try the more tried and tested ones....
    Also most other people would rather not have the depression rather than sex tbh..
    I'm going to give the CBT a go and have sel referred this morning.
    I've done some more research and have bought into the diagnosis some more when I discovered the definitions for anxious personality disorder which describe me to a tee.
    I believe the depression is a symptom of the personality disorder, rather than the issue itself and the CBT is more likely to address this root cause.
    As for depression or sexuality - neither are an acceptable compromise or outcome for me, but appreciate others have different outlooks and views.

Really glad you're feeling more positive about the CBT. Hope that the referral comes through fast.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!