Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't know where to turn or what to do

Ovalbug
    Quote Originally Posted by magie06 View Post
    How are things today?
    Not too bad thanks - I had to collect my daughter from school at midday as they broke up early which got me out the house. My wife was very supportive when she came home and I've been amusing myself with some old youtube videos and eating too much pre-Christmas food.

Two things have kept me afloat today - firstly, I received my psych letter confirming my appointment for Friday 5th January, which I'm quite impressed with - let's see what they have to say.

Secondly, I've been procrastinating for months regarding getting some cosmetic dentistry to re-align my front teeth, which due to over crowding are starting to bother me in that they're beginning to look noticeably off kilter and I've caught a few customers recently looking at them which doesn't help my confidence. So this morning I bit the bullet and paid my deposit. A lot of money but a worth while investment I think on many fronts.

Instead of sulking off to bed early tonight with the kids, I've 'booked' some 'us' time with my wife to watch something funny on TV for an hour before bed to lift my spirits. I guess I just need to try and keep positive momentum going and avoid any bumps in the road or triggers that might set me off.

Delicate, but coping.

That's very good news. You've done amazingly well today. You should be very proud of yourself.

Well done, hunni, you did good yesterday
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

That's such a positive post! Hoorah!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Just popping in to say hello.

Ovalbug
    Hanging in there. Not massively down, but not up, either. No drive or enthusiasm to do anything, not keen on leaving the house and very vulnerable to triggers. My wife has gone back to work and I feel very lonely when she's gone, even through I have the kids to look after - a stress in itself.

Another question to the floor - is a symptom of depression always finding fault with something or someone. i.e you fevelop and mindset that is based around, if I could just solve/fix this/that, then everything would be okay? But then should that go away, another thing would come along that would be the source of the depression and so on.

A person I know who doesn't now about my condition told me once that I have a "destructive pursuit of perfection", and whilst he doesn't realise it, those words resonated with me hugely. My personality? My depression? Or an unfortunate combination of both?

Anyone else always trying to fix something/change something as the source of their depression?

I (just about) have enough common sense/self awareness to realise that if this is indeed a symptom of depression, that I need to solve the depression, not fix my perceived issues.

Anyone been through that journey?

Ovalbug
    Sorry for all the typos - annoying there isn't an edit function.

"Develop a mindset"
    "Person I know"

Yes, I think the quest for perfection and wanting something/things fixed is definitely part of anxiety/depression! I think seeing the psychiatrist will really help (in my case, this is true) Also, loneliness is also part of the condition.
    One day at a time ....😃

Ovalbug
    Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    Yes, I think the quest for perfection and wanting something/things fixed is definitely part of anxiety/depression! I think seeing the psychiatrist will really help (in my case, this is true) Also, loneliness is also part of the condition.
    Please could you tell me what happened during your psych meeting and what the outcome was?

I tend to over simplify things and can;t see past a conversation going along the lines of...

What's up?

Long term clinical depression, PTSD, social anxiety.

What have you tried so far?

I list all the drugs tried and their intolerable side effects - all SSRIs + Mitrazapine, (plus months of talking therapy).

He/she says, "yes, they're common side effects of these drugs".

I say - "yes I know, I've 'finished the internet' looking for an answer - please can I try Wellbutrin as it looks to work well, with no sexual side effects"

He/she says "I wouldn't recommend that for you, as you have significant anxiety which will be exasperated with Bupropion..."

I'm just frightened that there isn't a solution available.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ovalbug For This Useful Post:

Arty (28-12-17)

Ok.. I saw my psych. for quite a few appts during which I told him in detail my symptoms (2 nervous breakdowns within 18 months) I was already on Citalopram & Mirtazapine but was in a very bad way. He changed my meds over a number of weeks. I totally understand how desperate you are and how right now you think that there won’t be a solution (I felt the same!) Psychiatrists have a lot of experience and are far better than GPs with Mental health (stating the obvious) Until you see him/her please try to be kind to yourself and rest as much as possible.
    One day at a time ....😃

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arty For This Useful Post: