Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't know where to turn or what to do

The first session is normally really general - just a who are you, why are you there, background kind of session. But prepare to be exhausted afterwards and always make sure you plan something to be kind to yourself too.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Ovalbug
    Is it more of a counselling session? Should I try and self diagnose from all my research or just let them probe and find stuff out rather than influence their opinion?

dont Try to self diagnose, that’s never a good thing for any illness. I dont know exactly how things will be done as it changes from doctor/therapist to doctor/therapist. I suggest go in with an open mind but also with an idea of what you’re looking for out of this treatment. And see how it goes
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Ovalbug
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    dont Try to self diagnose, that’s never a good thing for any illness. I dont know exactly how things will be done as it changes from doctor/therapist to doctor/therapist. I suggest go in with an open mind but also with an idea of what you’re looking for out of this treatment. And see how it goes
    Thanks - I guess the end game is a treatment that combats the depression, social anxiety and that doesn't cause sexual dysfunction.

I hope you find it and that this is the start of that.

Ovalbug
    Anyone have any idea how long it typically takes to get an appointment after a psych referral?

I'm really low at the moment and feeling a little desperate for help.

It varies from area to area - do you have the number of the unit that you’ve been referred to so you can ask them how long 8ts likely to be? In the meantime, there are crisis helplines you can call and we’ve listed the details. In the UK and Ireland http://www.dealingwithdepression.co....UK-amp-Ireland and worldwide helplines are http://www.dealingwithdepression.co....ness-Worldwide
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Ovalbug
    Thanks Paula - All my GP said was that I'll get a letter, "probably after Christmas". That's all I have to cling to. My wife is very supportive, but I just hate feeling this miserable, helpless, joyless and generally "what's the point in living". I' totally conscious of it and have complete self awareness, but just not the power to do anything about it.

Knitting fog.

Also if you are at danger of hurting yourself then you can always go to A+E and ask to speak to the on duty psych nurse/team....

It's very difficult to find motivation to do anything when all you can see is black fog. Take things easy, be kind to yourself and even take a walk if you feel like you can do no more. A walk can release the feel good hormone and can really help.