Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My little worries are building up...

Alexis
    Hi Paula, thank you so much for the advice!
    I just don't know if I should see a doctor first before making it an issue with my family? My boyfriend is soo supportive in everything so I think once I tell him he'll force me to the doctors anyway! and maybe then could be a good time to tell the parents? I don't know

Alexis
    Hi Jamie, thank you for posting!
    It's reassuring to hear that i'm not the only one struggling with my degree, I just feel like i've already had 3 years of this I shouldn't be struggling at this stage

I have considered dropping out...a lot...but i'm just so near the end and I cant bare the thought of letting everyone know I couldn't handle it. Deferring would be an option definitely, I worry though as I have a real support network here of friends and flatmates that actually do have a big impact on my happiness and I honestly couldn't see myself spending another year here without them after they all move on in June. I know thats silly coz uni isn't just about the social side but I've become such a shy person now I don't think I could make new friends and the thought of loneliness here scares me!

Your post has helped a lot, I really do need to do something about this before i'm drowning in failed coursework. I'm very near the limit of what I can take now I do think its only a matter of weeks before I break so I'm going to make an appointment this afternoon probably for next week

JamieW
    Please do Alexis .... i know it'll be a really tough time but don't suffer in silence like i did .... yes my life kinda worked out ok but that time has left deep scars
    The biggest mistake and regret was letting it slip through my fingers and feeling i had ruined my life...... no this won't ruin your life ... trust me on that but it'll hurt
    I know opening up is tough too ... But i'm guessing if you asked at uni if there was someone you could speak to in confidence about how things were going they will have someone

Options you have - please try to not let the choice be 'do nothing'

Glad i could help in a small way.... good luck and by all means ping me if you need to

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Hi Paula, thank you so much for the advice!
    I just don't know if I should see a doctor first before making it an issue with my family? My boyfriend is soo supportive in everything so I think once I tell him he'll force me to the doctors anyway! and maybe then could be a good time to tell the parents? I don't know
    Tell your parents as soon as you can - tbh there’s a very good chance they already know somethings up and will much rather you talked to them about it, even on Christmas Eve. Seeing your doctor should also be a priority, lovely, the sooner you go, the sooner you get help and the sooner you start feeling better.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    I've decided to tell my boyfriend tomorrow night. We both have our last exams tomorrow and so feel like it's a good time to finally unload and let him know!
    I'm going to tell my parents eventually I wont be home until christmas eve however and don't think thats the best time for news like that so it may have to wait until the new year but I'm definitely going to speak to them before I start back uni in the next semester
    That's brilliant, but I really would tell your parents asap lovely. They will know that something is wrong, even if you think you are hiding it well - trust me. I thought I was hiding it well when I was in my first year at uni... Turns out I really wasn't!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Alexis
    i've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to even think about all of this as I've worked late every day since my exams last week and will be right up to christmas eve...I couldn't tell my boyfriend in the end, his best friend and our flat mate is going through some stuff too and he's so stressed about him at the moment there really has not been a good time to talk about me so i'm thinking it will have to wait until the new year. I'm just so worried he'll look at me differently after it.

I really think you need to value yourself and your own happiness higher lovely. You need to talk to those around you as you need their understanding and support..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!