Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to talk to??? **su triggers**

JamieW
    To be honest.... it's highly unlikely i will.... and not just because of the reason outlined...
    Basically in a noisy environment (pub/club/restaurant) i completely lose the ability to track peoples speech...

I have excellent hearing, really good frequency response for my age but if you imagine a group of say 6 people around a table in a bar or restaurant with that general background hubub .... i have to really really focus and strain to isolate even the person speaking close to me ...
    Therefore in a group scenario i just get lost .... i lose the flow ... so add that to the fact that i don't like operating in 'new' groups and i generally clam up and end up saying nothing and the people on this course are all european (spanish mostly with pretty strong accents) then i just cannot deal with it all combined

Fair enough, I understand as I have the same problem. It’s an anxiety thing - it’s difficult to filter
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Kind of sensory overload.... I sympathise.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

thisisme
    Maybe being away and having quiet evenings means that you’ll have the opportunity to put things into compartments in your mind and help you break thoughts down into more manageable chunks.
    One thing I’d say about hotel.. if you’re in the hotel on your own (ie not with work colleagues) then try and push yourself to go to the bar for your dinner rather than in your room. Take a newspaper so you don’t feel uncomfortable. But try not to lock yourself in with room service. Just hearing others around you (with no pressure to interact) will ultimately be more relaxing than cooped up in the room

JamieW
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Fair enough, I understand as I have the same problem. It’s an anxiety thing - it’s difficult to filter
    Is that what it is??? I've had it for a while now (quite a few years) but never twigged on what it was...
    I even asked my counsellor (1st one) about it as it is a reason i don't enjoy being out
    He'd not heard of it

JamieW
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
    Maybe being away and having quiet evenings means that you’ll have the opportunity to put things into compartments in your mind and help you break thoughts down into more manageable chunks.
    One thing I’d say about hotel.. if you’re in the hotel on your own (ie not with work colleagues) then try and push yourself to go to the bar for your dinner rather than in your room. Take a newspaper so you don’t feel uncomfortable. But try not to lock yourself in with room service. Just hearing others around you (with no pressure to interact) will ultimately be more relaxing than cooped up in the room
    I'll do that (partly anyway) ... i don't intend to eat in the restaurants because i'm trying to watch my food and hotel meals are a bit much - but i will have my dinner, then take my Kindle down into the bar and just chill out and read something fun

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW View Post
    Is that what it is??? I've had it for a while now (quite a few years) but never twigged on what it was...
    I even asked my counsellor (1st one) about it as it is a reason i don't enjoy being out
    He'd not heard of it
    Yep, rather than a hum of conversation, I hear every single conversation in detail, it seems, and my brain can’t take it. It’s exhausting
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

JamieW
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Yep, rather than a hum of conversation, I hear every single conversation in detail, it seems, and my brain can’t take it. It’s exhausting
    Different for me .... i simply cannot tune in to who's speaking if there's the hum of conversation around ... it just doesn't 'stand out' for me ... even if i'm intently focussed on them i can usually barely hear them ..... so when you're in a group and the conversation is flipping between people like it does i frankly cannot track it and lose the ability to contribute

I know for my lovely husband he has similar sensations - for him it's a mix of anxiety, social phobia and sensory overload.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

JamieW
    Going to see doctors in the morning .... finally sick of the jaw clenching side-effect of Citalopram....
    It's causing me to take chunks out of my tongue & cheeks when i'm asleep and its super painful.

Never did it before in my life prior to these tablets so it's gotta be causal.

Dunno what i'll end up with