Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some advice *SU TRIGGERS*

jenibi

need some advice *SU TRIGGERS*

I'm struggling to find any real reason to actually keep living. since i was in high school i followed the mantra of just wait, things will change, things will improve, live will be worth living. yet now I've finished university and am still playing the waiting game. Look my life isn't bad by any accounts (as my parents constantly remind me) I do have a job (in retail), I live at home so don't struggle with bills or anything. yet I constantly dance with the thought of just ending things. I constantly have to rationalise with myself or give a reason to not just stop. I don't feel like my existence is worth continuing. There are probably a million more people in the world just like me but less broken who can do more good then i possibly could. People who are better equipped at handling life and i'm just here feeling like I'm rotting. I can't talk to others about my feelings cos then the rot will spread to them. I'll have ruined their day by talking about how I feel, yet without having an actual reason to feel this bad. If i feel terrible every other day, why should i exist? what reason can i possibly have fir being around? I don't ake anyones life better, i fade into the background most of the time. I'm terrible with people and struggle in day to day conversations without torturing myself about how much they all must hate me cos I'm a miserable quiet brat.

TLDR
    I just need some reason to keep living other then "it'll get better". cos so far, everything has been about the same and its pushing me to the edge.
    Last edited by Jaquaia; 27-12-17 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Trigger warning added as per DWD procedure

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Hi and welcome. I've added a trigger warning to your post. It's nothing to worry about, it's just so members can avoid it if the difficult subject would upset them.

Have you ever spoken to your gp about how you feel? They can help you access treatment, medication or counselling, and refer on if needed.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

jenibi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaquaia View Post

Have you ever spoken to your gp about how you feel? They can help you access treatment, medication or counselling, and refer on if needed.
    Of course I have, I have been on citralopram for two years, had counseling and tried self help. It doesn't work. I wouldn't be here if it worked. Forums are not my ideal place, I find them to be crawling with people just waiting to put you down so no, I didn't go to a forum as my first line of defence. I came here because although I could never be honest with my counselor I can be honest on here and I hoped there would be people who understand and who i could talk with but instead I'm on a depression forum where suicide is a trigger word... I guess, I'm just regretting doing this.

jenibi
    Quote Originally Posted by jenibi View Post
    Of course I have, I have been on citralopram for two years, had counseling and tried self help. It doesn't work. I wouldn't be here if it worked. Forums are not my ideal place, I find them to be crawling with people just waiting to put you down so no, I didn't go to a forum as my first line of defence. I came here because although I could never be honest with my counselor I can be honest on here and I hoped there would be people who understand and who i could talk with but instead I'm on a depression forum where suicide is a trigger word... I guess, I'm just regretting doing this.
    sorry if that came across as a little bit too defensive, I know you're trying to help. thank you.

Hi and welcome. Please don’t regret coming here, we do understand, we can and will talk with you and we can help. Suicide is a trigger word but we don’t stop people discussing it, we just need to warn others to keep all our members safe.

We ask if you’ve seen your doctor because many people don’t. Well done for working so hard to get well though, just because it’s not worked yet, doesn’t mean it won’t. Can you go back to your doctor and ask for alternatives? There are a large number of ADs available, for instance, and different people respond to different drugs. Citalopram may just not be the one for you. Has anyone talked to you about CBT?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Hi there and welcome to DWD.

As the other lovely ladies have explained we have trigger warnings to protect you and others from things that they may not feel able to talk about right now. It's not a negative, it's actually pretty positive and given time I'm sure you'll see that too.
    I know that forums can be a bit hit and miss, but we're very overprotective here so I can honestly say this is a safe place to talk... But please, try not to be so defensive, no one here is against you - we all have our own understandings and experiences of depression and mental health illness - many of us have been where you are now.
    Last edited by Suzi; 27-12-17 at 11:40 AM.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

jenibi
    Hi Paula. Yes I have tried cbt both on my own and with my counselor. I didn't really find it that helpful when I was already feeling down. It really only helps me to prolong up moments.

Hi suzi, I know you mean well but I don't think berating me for something I've already apologized for is particularly helpful. I really do get enough of people doing that irl. I'm guessing it wasn't your intention it's just how it comes across...
    I'm here for that understanding. I just want to talk about how I'm feeling and get some advice, not the merits and demerits of trigger warnings so can we please move past that point?

jenibi
    I wish I could edit posts. (Let me know if I actually can and am just being silly) I don't share my feeling easily. Particularly in person. I find it incredibly difficult to get the words out as through the link between my head and mouth is broken. I know that I should try and get a new prescription to see if it helps me more. It's just my last appointments to check in on my medication were over the phone (this is where my untruthfulness comes at its strongest) so I kept saying oh yeah it's fine, works great. I don't know why I said it. I know it's stupid and know I'm afraid to say to them oh yeah I was lying and am actually in a crippling depression googling the easiest ways to die. I actually went hunting for a deadly mushroom once cos it was meant to provide a painless death... I know I'm being defensive. I just can't help it. I don't share my emotions. I find incredibly difficult and just doing this is a big step for me when I know for others it's a trivial matter. Either way how do you tell the truth to your doctor? How do I remove the block in my head? Anyone else experienced something similar?

Hi Paula. Yes I have tried cbt both on my own and with my counselor. I didn't really find it that helpful when I was already feeling down. It really only helps me to prolong up moments.

Hi suzi, I know you mean well but I don't think berating me for something I've already apologized for is particularly helpful. I really do get enough of people doing that irl. I'm guessing it wasn't your intention it's just how it comes across...
    I'm here for that understanding. I just want to talk about how I'm feeling and get some advice, not the merits and demerits of trigger warnings so can we please move past that point?
    I do promise that I wasn't berating you for anything, I'm not like that - which you'll get to know in time.

I wish I could edit posts. (Let me know if I actually can and am just being silly)
    No, that's not something that you can do, but you can always ask one of the team to help and we're always happy to help
    I don't share my feeling easily. Particularly in person. I find it incredibly difficult to get the words out as through the link between my head and mouth is broken. I know that I should try and get a new prescription to see if it helps me more. It's just my last appointments to check in on my medication were over the phone (this is where my untruthfulness comes at its strongest) so I kept saying oh yeah it's fine, works great. I don't know why I said it. I know it's stupid and know I'm afraid to say to them oh yeah I was lying and am actually in a crippling depression googling the easiest ways to die. I actually went hunting for a deadly mushroom once cos it was meant to provide a painless death... I know I'm being defensive. I just can't help it. I don't share my emotions. I find incredibly difficult and just doing this is a big step for me when I know for others it's a trivial matter. Either way how do you tell the truth to your doctor? How do I remove the block in my head? Anyone else experienced something similar?
    Lovely, you really do need to be more open with your GP - maybe write a list of bullet points about how you feel, then you can actually just hand that over if you need to - or print out your posts from here and pass that over instead. Then you don't need to actually "say" anything if you don't feel up to it.
    If the meds aren't helping then tell them - talk to them, no matter how hard it is - do you have a friend you could take with you?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

jenibi
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post

No, that's not something that you can do, but you can always ask one of the team to help and we're always happy to help
    Lovely, you really do need to be more open with your GP - maybe write a list of bullet points about how you feel, then you can actually just hand that over if you need to - or print out your posts from here and pass that over instead. Then you don't need to actually "say" anything if you don't feel up to it.
    If the meds aren't helping then tell them - talk to them, no matter how hard it is - do you have a friend you could take with you?
    That's a really good idea. Thanks suzi. I do find it easier to just write it down so that might work. The problem with bringing a friend is that it's harder when it's someone I know tbh. I'm afraid of making them hate me by being down all the time, you know? So I'm on my own for that but writing it down... that should work great. Thanks.