Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ask the oracle

ophelia
    because these shows like strictly and X-factor tend to give more credit than needed to acts/ performances/ what ever

why don't the BBC ever advertise anything but their own programmes

In two words "self promotion"

Why do tubes of glue never stick what you want but manage to stick the cap on the tube with such force it takes pliers and a lot of swearing to undo the cap?
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

I think it's something to do with sod's law!

Why do some of the Christmas decorations come out of the box with stains on them, when all you ever do is put them onto the 'clean' tree?

Sounds like something to do with storage throughout the year.

Why have I still not got round to buying a pair of wellies when promised myself to go get some about 3 yrs ago?

ophelia
    because life got in the way and you just never got round to it.

(happens to us all!)

why do they have casualty and holby city, when both shows are esentialy the same thing?

An excuse to use up our licence fees.

Why is snow considered Christmasy?

ophelia
    it's probably because santa is from the northpole, the northpole is cold (and probably has a lot of snow), and all the children are told that he uses a sleigh, so they just pass it on from geniration to geniration that santa uses snow to get around

that, or frosty the snowman said so. lol

why do harry potter and friends use the hogwarts express. they are magic. why can't they just get their through the fireplace

That's easy, it's because you can't apparate inside the grounds of Hogwarts

Why do they change books so much when they make them into movies?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Sorry, going back to the snow. It’s because it was the victorians who really started the whole ‘Christmas holiday’ thing, including introducing Christmas trees, cards etc. During the 19th century we had a mini ‘ice age’ and England had much harsher winters (people used to skate on the Thames). With the likes of Dickens et al, these harsher winters became embedded in Christmas lore

Movies have a more limited time period to get the plot through to the audience

Why did my postman leave a paper parcel on my doorstep in the pouring rain?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Because it’s impossible to include all elements of a book into a 2 hrs movie. What works on paper doesn’t always translate well on the screen.

Why does this country fall apart when snow falls?