Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My story *SU TRIGGERS*

Andrew
    I'm nothing like I was years ago. My good points have now gone. Since challenging my depression I'd say I'm more thoughtful of other though. That's about it.

There will be more - you just have to hunt for them sometimes.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I'm nothing like I was years ago. My good points have now gone. Since challenging my depression I'd say I'm more thoughtful of other though. That's about it.
    I don’t believe that your good points have gone. What I do believe is that depression is a nasty b*tch that destroys our self confidence and self belief and makes us believe that we have nothing going for us. I think that’s whats happened - you don’t believe in your good points even though they’re there
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

JamieW
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Andrew - the word i've come to use to define depression as a condition or illness is 'insidious' .... it truly is .... it infects all parts of our mind and life .... very slowly sometimes and it creeps through and overwhelms before you've come to deal with it

Even though i consciously 'know' this fact and know i have depression i have real struggles on a day-to-day basis .... counseling is very tiring mentally ... stick with it .... i'm in-between at the moment and want to go back

We do all have good points and strengths and its depressions sole purpose to mask / distort and confuse this .... again - i know this fact but i still fall victim to its nature and deny these facts at times and get the same feelings of despair ....
    Take it day by day ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieW For This Useful Post:

Suzi (12-12-17)

When I was at my worst, I would have to take things minute by minute. If I just get through the next 10 minutes. It would get me through.

Andrew
    Last night and today have been the worst I've felt in months. Had to ask my ex to pick my daughter up early because I feel so . Pretended I had a headache to her.

I just feel it's never-ending. I start to feel better and then this happens. Im so sick of feeling like this. It's been so long since I've felt my normal self I can't remember what it feels like.

Either feel nothing or i feel self hatred, regret and sadness.

I know this is a cliche but, with counselling, often it’s a case of getting worse before you get better. It’s a tough treatment to undertake and you’re just starting out. You’re going to need to be kind to yourself
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Paula's right. Counselling is exhausting and can be so painful. You have be kind to yourself - taking time to regroup and recentre each week..

Andrew
    My next counselling session isn't until 4th January as I'm at work tomorrow and can't take the day off.

I needed to have a little cry last night to make me feel better. I cry a lot now. I hate being alone but I hate being with people. The longer I've been separated from my ex the more I miss everything about her and living with her and my daughter. Miss just seeing and being with them everyday. It's supposed to get easier bit it's getting harder. We've been separated 6 months now and everyday I want her back more and more. I know counselling, depression etc would be so much easier with her by my side.

She's going out drinking Friday night. My anxiety is up about it. Scenarios of her meeting someone new etc.

I can understand that. You just need to be kind to yourself right now. Sorry, can you remind me - are you on meds? If things are getting harder, could you go and see your GP and tell them what you are telling us?