Thread: Work and Depression

Work and Depression

Feeling very low back in July I quit my job, intending to start a new one the next week. However I was really struggling, so left after just a few days.

I know that getting back to work could be really helpful, not just financially! But I'm still feeling very low and I don't know how I'd cope.

Does anyone have any advice or tips about getting back to work?

Thanks,
    Emma

Hi hunni, have you thought about talking to an advisor at the job centre about getting back into work? They should have a disability advisor there who could help..
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

There are agencies dotted around the uk who help people with health conditions back into work. Remploy is one that springs to mind. Might be worth seeing if there is a local office nearby
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

I've signed on at the job centre and mentioned my depression but it was sort of brushed over. They didn't mention a disability advisor, but that might be because I'm not physically unwell? I think I probably come across as 'okay' in those sort of scenarios, as they don't know what I'm normally like.
    It seems that there is a remploy office quite close to me, so I might give that a go. It's tough as right now making a decision on what I want to do is difficult! Depression tends to make me very confused about it all

Remploy are very good and helping and work along side the job centre. They will also support you in the workplace to help you stay in employment as well as find employers who are supportive of workers with health conditions and disabilities
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

I think I might get in touch with them, as it can't hurt!
    Also this might sound like a silly question, but what would you put when a job asks you if you have any disabilities? Previously I would've always said none as my depression etc was under control but if I put that now it feels like I'm lying. I know legally they're not meant to discount you for suffering from mental illness, but....

Yeah it’s a tough one. I’ve always been open about it in the past, not that it got me anywhere. One former member suggested saying nothing unless offered the position which sounds sensible.
    J. M. Barrie

Yeah that does sound like a good idea Thanks!

Can I just say how awesome you are for pushing yourself like this
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

Well done lovely. I'd always be open about my physical disabilities and we're always open about my husband's mental health issues.
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn