Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iím a Sober Hero

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Iím a Sober Hero

Yes folks itís that time of year again where I give up the booze and ask you to put your hands in your pockets to support me and raise funds for Macmillanís. For those forum members who werenít here this time last year Iíll give you a bit of background info about why I take on this challenge.

In Feb 2013, after and year long battle I lost my mum to cancer. She was always a big drinker so itís a little amusing that I choose a sober challenge to raise funds. Also when I was at my lowest point I went off the rails a bit and searched for the answer to all my problems at the bottom of a bottle. Many opinions were documented about my Ďalcohol dependencyí which is something I have always disputed. Yes I was drinking heavily but that doesnít make me an alcoholic. That was in the past and now I still drink but nothing like I used to and I donít use it as a crutch anymore either, so to prove a point I choose to give up the booze for a month and stick two fingers up to my doubters and raise funds for a deserving cause. Everyoneís a winner!

Hereís the link http://www.gosober.org.uk/users/sarah-weston-4

Please give generously
    ĎThe moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

OldMike (04-10-17),Suzi (02-10-17)

Well done hunni!!
    ďYou can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.Ē
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

So proud of you stella. I hope you raise loads.

I see a woman in the nightWith a baby in her hand Under an old street light Near a garbage can. Now she puts the kid away,
    and she's gone to get a hit She hates her life,
    and what she's done to it. There's one more kid that will never go to school Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.

Having completed the first week of my sober challenge I have to admit it’s not been the best start. Having had my ESA assessment Thursday and struggling a bit this weekend the temptation to give in has been strong. What I’m feeling low and worthless it’s easy to quit cos failure is about all I expect. Thankfully my stubborn streak and sense of duty keep me going cos I don’t wanna let down the people who have given their money in support of me. Trust me this afternoon I could quite happily get hammered but I’m not going to. Trying to stay strong.
    ĎThe moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

Iíd say thatís a great start. Itís easy sticking to something when you donít want it. Sticking to it when youíre struggling is a hundred times more worthwhile
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

I'm proud of you Stella
    70 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

I am so proud of you.
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Yeah I suppose. Darts tonight at the pub with the cheapest beer in the league C’mon guys, dig deep and remind me why I’m doing this.
    J. M. Barrie

Because you want to give back and because youíre a caring human being.
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

Because you are amazing!
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn