Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here - Feeling completely hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by em123 View Post
    I second Suzi here!!! You sound like a nice guy

I understand what you mean about chatting to people, it can be so tough! Do you still work from home? If so, have you thought of working in a café/library maybe once a week? A friend works in cafes etc as it gives him a break from the house and a quick chat with a barista or fellow freelancer everyday
    I got a new job 3 months ago. My department is small and the people I work with are friendly. But any time I've asked about doing something outside of work, there's always a reason they can't. Whether it's an excuse or genuine, it still means I'm stuck alone all the time outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    I know what you’re saying, I’m pretty much the same, but just because it’s a real situation doesn’t always mean that your response to it is completely rational. Medication could offer that added something to reduce a extreme reaction. I still lose the plot on occasions over the small things but I know that without my meds I’d be a total mess.
    I completely agree with this, ftr
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

Quote Originally Posted by ksw87 View Post
    I could try meds again, but as I said above, I just don't think it's something that would help. The things that make me feel the way I do are things that actually exist, it's not just my head being in the wrong place.
    Meds isn't about things that don't actually exist... My husband has struggled for many years and actually it's a combination of a different medication and intensive therapy which has meant that he can now leave the house and manage to do "every day" or "normal" things... Everything that's stopped him from doing everything are things that do actually exist and are very, very real...
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Meds isn't about things that don't actually exist... My husband has struggled for many years and actually it's a combination of a different medication and intensive therapy which has meant that he can now leave the house and manage to do "every day" or "normal" things... Everything that's stopped him from doing everything are things that do actually exist and are very, very real...
    I probably explained poorly. What I mean is that my depression is the result of a number of situations I am in. Taking medication, seeing a therapist, they can't change those situations. So that's why despite trying different in both, for many years, it hasn't helped

No medication can’t change the situation but it can help you be able to deal with the situation better and change it for yourself. Trust me, when you’re flailing and thinking everything is out of control the meds will simply put on the brakes and allow you to process things more rationally making it easier to find a way out of the troubling scenario or deal with the emotions more productively.
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

Suzi (05-10-17)

Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    No medication can’t change the situation but it can help you be able to deal with the situation better and change it for yourself. Trust me, when you’re flailing and thinking everything is out of control the meds will simply put on the brakes and allow you to process things more rationally making it easier to find a way out of the troubling scenario or deal with the emotions more productively.
    I wish that was how it worked for me. But I've tried a bunch of different meds over a number of years and I didn't notice any difference between taking them and not. I don't think medication is for everyone.

I think when I see my doctor if the suggestion is to try it again, I will decline. Because I know then that when it isn't working, they're going to tell me to wait 6 months, a year, etc. and I need a different option. I don't want it to just became an excuse for my doctor.

That is completely your choice....
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn