Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new job is awful

My new job is awful

Its been one of those days, the painfully back ache day. Its a good job I wasn't in work today. So it started off with the usual morning time depression combined with pain. I had taken a few painkillers and dozed off, got up to make lunch only to find it was time for the teens to come home. I have been sat talking to myself out lining all my problems, work is bloody awful seems I have been lied to and there is not much to be managed if anything I have gone back ten years when I first started out. I have applied for two new jobs only thing is it involves travel but it has to be better than what I am doing now. I am going to stick it out until payday then leave. This goes against my morals but in all fairness I was lied to by the management.

I need to try and see a doctor this week as I can not go on making daft choices because of my muddled head. Quite simply I have had enough of myself. Too much depression and too much pain grrrr. I really hope he listens because I am not in the mood for the usual " you are middle aged " I am stressed out enough as it is over pay and jobs. Fingers crossed this is as more productive week .

Ok I get that it takes a while to settle into a new job but could it be that you are starting out at a lower level and building up to the normal duties? I worked in retail management in the past and I'm a strong believer in knowing the basics of how a firm works cos without that information how can you understand the potential problems of your staff and correct the situation? Not knowing what it is that you do I dunno if this is helpful or not. I've also had jobs where it has taken a while to get settled. After a few weeks I hated the job and couldn't imagine sticking it out. However 6 yrs later....

Try not to make any rash decisions right now and allow a bit more time.
    ".Sometimes, you have to take a leap of faith first. The trust part comes later.”

Could Stella be right? In what way do you think you were lied to?
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

They told me that I would not have to do much manual work and to be quite honest I am expected to. I don't have my own office , or PC and there were no records of anything so I have had to start from scratch. No staff either. Its taken a week to start sorting things out but still its slave labour. If you knew about the organisation you would be shocked. I am back where i started years ago. OK so the department is mine, its hard work trying to motivate a bunch of whingers. I know they are whinging for a reason and I am trying to be up beat whilst letting them know things are going to change for the better. I am wasting what I am good at on this company. Do I give it a chance ? I have already applied for other jobs.

I would stick it out cos once everything is sorted the way it ought to be it's gonna be easier and the satisfaction of turning things around would be huge. Is it worth mentioning some of your concerns to someone and get them resolved?
    ".Sometimes, you have to take a leap of faith first. The trust part comes later.”

Maybe give it another week and see if you can turn it around?
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Tia I'd give it another chance at least till you get another job unless it is intolerable working there.
    70 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

If you're starting from scratch, could this lead to you building your own department in your way?
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

I am trying ,really trying to hold it together. I have seen a job advertised on their web site which is two combined roles. One of which is my role . I asked someone today have they advertised my job and he said no. I don't trust them one bit. The staff have been particularly awful today as they are very confrontational over minor things so they have been told today to calm down as I am not willing to enter in to slanging matches. They don't like change, seem to think I should be doing the same job as them and my own, and generally moan about everything. Part of me thinks stick it out because if I leave they have won but I am not going to be bullied by loud mouth staff who don't know what the word respect is. Can't even ask someone higher up about the advertised job until next week. Its all very frustrating.

If you are that unhappy then keep applying and leave asap...
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn