Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: hi, im new *SH triggers*

There are lots of options available - some may offer medication, others a different type of therapy etc. Is this a counsellor you have been seeing for a while?
    I promise there's loads of time to help you through this.
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Hi suzi,
    I just met this counsellor last week as they saw me crying in a corridor after a panic attack (haha that sounds quite melodramatic). But now im just kind of feeling a bit neutral again so I feel really guilty about bothering them. I dont know if getting painfully emotional and then neutral and numb is normal.

Normal is overrated but, yes, that does happen - to me a lot. Panic attacks are scary, lovely, so it doesn't,sound melodramatic at all. My advice is, talk to the counsellor, tell them about the mood swings and all your symptoms. Then go from there
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

There is nothing melodramatic about panic attacks I promise you. I've seen my husband go through enough of them.
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Hi again, thanks for all of the advice.
    Im so sorry about your husband Suzi, it must be incredibly difficult to see a loved one in so much pain. I hope you and your husband are ok. (you are both very brave)

It's better now than it's been in years. It has been incredibly hard, but you can get through it by being open and honest and keeping talking to each other - it's not "him" and "me" it's "us" or "we" itms?
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Im glad its getting better, I am finding that counselling is making me less panicked, (as I kept everything bottled up, so talking about it lightens the load) but when im having a panic attack I can't rationalize the thoughts that I get and just have to wait until I can catch my breath again.

That's exactly what a panic attack will do. One thing a CPN once said to me was that a panic attack will usually not last any longer than 20 minutes so all you've got to do is ride out that time, knowing it will end - no matter how much it feels like an eternity itms
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Stella180 (11-09-17)

Marc's therapist says that when you feel the panic start to take over make yourself look around. Find something to look at, something to hear, something to feel and make yourself "be" in that moment. Breathe calmly and it'll be over.... It's tough, really tough, but it does help.
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Panic attacks can be very frightening when your whole body is in turmoil. A counsellor suggested that I keep a paper bag in my handbag, as when a panic attack comes on we hyperventilate which results in too much oxygen going to the brain, giving the feeling of dizziness etc. If you breathe in and out slowly into a paper bag then the carbon dioxide we produce neutralises the symptoms which helps/stops the hyperventilating. Are you in a position healthwise to do a bit of jogging? My doctor swore by it, saying that it uses up excess adrenalin which is a panic attack culprit! Keep posting and sharing, and I hope things get a bit better for you.