Thread: Husband suffering with depression. *AB SU TRIGGERS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blueeyes1983

Husband suffering with depression. *AB SU TRIGGERS

I am just after some advice on how to handle my husbands depression. It's a very long storey but my husband had a traumatic childhood and was sexually abused. He is a great guy, hard working, attentive, caring etc... we have been together for nearly 5 years and married for 8 months.

Basically he has 'episodes' I would call them when something really upsets him and he becomes like another person. He fluctuates between being very angry and
    acting hopeless. He tells me I'm better off without him and we shouldn't be together. He even threatens suicide and will go driving off in his car for a few hours and not answer my calls.

He comes back after a few hours calmer and full of remorse and self hate. He will be like that for a few days or a week then slowly bounce bank. I would say these episodes happen every few months.

This morning was particularly bad, he said we should get divorced as I'm better off with someone else then he would end his life. This all happened after I said I wouldn't do something sexually for him that he really wants to do! We had a miscarriage two weeks ago too. After the miscarriage he was great, loving, caring, strong. He seems to be using sex as a release from his unhappiness.

This morning he did agree to get counselling but he agreed to that a year ago and didn't go. He tells me he loves me, that he doesn't want anyone else and wants a family with me.

I was just hoping for some advice from people who suffer from depression. So I can understand why he tries to push me away and how I can avoid taking these comments so personally.

I do worry as my husbands father committed suicide when my husband was three, he was thought to be bipolar and I'm worried my husband is too. I must add that between these episodes my husband functions fully, he goes to work, laughs, seems happy for a few weeks or months till it happens again.
    Last edited by Jaquaia; 23-08-17 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Trigger warning added as per DWD procedure