Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the most bothering symptoms you faced?

Yes. My memory has improved, still not perfect but improved. I've been doing sudkuo puzzles and jigsaw puzzles to try to help my memory. A favourite of mine at the moment is doing dot to dot puzzles for adults. There is a monthly book published just for adults and it's not very expensive.

I'm thinking of asking for my mental health records to see what was written about me while I was in hospital. I think it would be a very interesting read. I wonder how long do you have to wait for them to be released?

I got my records as of a couple of years ago and they came through really quickly but it was a solicitor requesting them so dunno if that sped things up a bit. It made very interesting reading.

I thought that from the data protection act you had a right to all information that was about you. Every organisation has to has a data protection policy and it should be available for all service users to read. It should state in the policy within what timescale they intend to meet requests for this data. I think it depends on how much information there is and what time they need to organise and send it.. but it should be a number of weeks not years. I could be wrong.. but I don't think so.

Ratherblue2
    My memory had been bad these days but luckily my concentration is still okay.The good thing about my current routine in life is I am relaxed more than usual,at least for about a month now since I changed my routine...now include jogging and my personal hobby

I have found out if I require my records I have to get in contact with the HSE, which is the health service here, and just ask them for the records. I would like to do this sooner rather than later to find out when exactly I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. It's a scary diagnosis when I was originally told that I had severe depression. Although I know it doesn't change the way I've been treated or my meds or anything like that. The only reason I'd be interested would be because I know you can get better from depression, but borderline personality disorder is for life.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for lovely x
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Ratherblue2
    yes,i dislke also the "chronic" and so call lifelong diagnosis.I rather have depression as my diagnosis with some help and risk of course rather than stuck in like what you said borderline personality disorder,scary...

Quote Originally Posted by magie06 View Post
    borderline personality disorder is for life.
    this is actually not true. The psychiatrist I met at the hospital told me that I could have a full recovery within a year with the right treatment. This may not of course be true for everyone with the diagnosis. But at least it is possible.

And if a professionals opinion wasn't reason enough for me to believe this, I have my own logic: BPD is diagnosis on the basis of behaviours. The behaviours stem from emotional instability. From trauma, high sensitivity, attachments problems, etc etc. this varies from person to person. There may be aspects of the underlying causes that stay with us for life.. but the vast majority can be treated. Therapy aimed at trauma resolution, therapy that gives tools to cope with anxiety or learning how to better handle relationships etc etc. So maybe the sensitivity remains, and certain developmental issues will always have to be taken into account through a healthy self awareness, but the emotional instability can be seriously reduced through a variety of processes. Someone with good emotional stability will no longer behave in the same ways and then you would not meet the criteria for diagnosis any more.

I am still reading my way through your original thread Magie haha it is long. But you asked this as a question a long time ago, can you recover? I made a note to post an answer when I was finished reading. But now I thought hey I will just say it here. Yes you can recover. A BPD diagnosis need not be a lifelong diagnosis. I am not saying that we won't still have aspects related to BPD that will be a challenge for life, but that is not the same as having the illness as a diagnosis. I believe the psychiatrist and what he told me. I am planning on having the fullest recovery possible for myself and from what I see of your progress dealing with life the universe, your family and everything, I believe you can have the same.