I was proscribed 20mg fluoxetine in August 2016 and immediately noticed a change in character. It was as if my prefrontal cortex sprang to life. I was quickly able to learn some German and basic Arabic, I found myself with regular work bonuses, and overall read more and became much more rational. I became more patient, forgiving and calm with others.

The downside? I lost control of my drinking, put on a lot of weight and my lifelong passion of music abruptly became realised as self-indulgence.

I got a little unwell and bad dreams and depressive thoughts ensued and on May 3rd I made the decision to stop drinking and stop taking Prozac. My doctor told me that my dosage was small enough to be able to do so.

After 3 weeks of painful gastritis, I was a third person. I retained all of those positive qualities and Prefrontal Cortex control and the depressive thoughts just passed. I went from zero excercise to running up to 13 Miles and looked and felt great. Now 3 months into sobriety I'm back to my original self.

The downsides: My tolerance before anger is noticeably lower, no more work bonuses owing to lower concentration and in general I'm back to being ruled by Limbic function. The excercise has stopped, I struggle to learn again and am gradually finding it harder to manage stressful situations.

I could take the fluoxetine again. However, it's that drive and concentration to learn that ridded me of the depression. Stressful situations simply stopped being that significant.

I am very much aware of the risks of longterm antidepressant use so would love to look at other options, provided they are backed up by medical study.

Lastly, thanks for your time!!

Lindsay