Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi, newcomer here.

Have you spoken to fightback or managed to get a disability adviser to go with you to this tribunal? Are you keeping your Dr up to date with how bad things really are? Have you applied for PiP?
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Have you spoken to fightback or managed to get a disability adviser to go with you to this tribunal? Are you keeping your Dr up to date with how bad things really are? Have you applied for PiP?
    I looked at Fightback but it cost to join, but I was a member on The Consumer Action Group and had a couple of appointments with the CAB. I've been to the GP with lots of things in the last two years but most have been physical ranging from the vertigo, sleep apnoea, hips and keeping an eye on type 2 diabetes. Applied for PIP but fell at the first hurdle on that one. The issue is that for ESA and PIP the forms etc just aren't friendly towards fluctuating conditions. I mean the vertigo isn't too bad today but I could be laid up in bed all day tomorrow, you just never know so unfortunately as a variable condition you just don't get any help.

Have you continued with the support from CAB? Have you asked if they can help you with support at the tribunal?
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

Have you tried Welfare rights? More help from the CAB?

With the PiP forms you need to fill it in based on a bad day.....
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Have you continued with the support from CAB? Have you asked if they can help you with support at the tribunal?
    The CAB were pretty useless to be honest, nice enough but most of the stuff I had already found out online myself so they had nothing new to add and unfortunately in my area anyway they don't offer support anymore attending tribunals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Have you tried Welfare rights? More help from the CAB?

With the PiP forms you need to fill it in based on a bad day.....
    Yeah I think I shot myself in the foot with the forms 1st time around with how I completed them. I have just had a look at Welfare Rights and might sign up and have an online chat with an advisor but it looks like a carers site rather than claimant?
    Last edited by Suzi; 15-08-17 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Merging 2 posts. Please don't double post within minutes! :)

DPAC Disabled People Against the Cuts are another good group. They do a lot of campaign work and activism against the austerity measures.. but they also know a lot of things about rights. Might be worth a google.

Thanks Amaya I'll google that. It certainly looks like The Welfare Rights site is for carers only unless I am looking at the wrong site?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
    DPAC Disabled People Against the Cuts are another good group. They do a lot of campaign work and activism against the austerity measures.. but they also know a lot of things about rights. Might be worth a google.
    Well funnily enough I thought the name sounded familiar and I did contact them last year when they were looking for people who had lost their benefits. I wrote to the Local Rep today but have received an email this evening saying that she shouldn't be down as the local contact anymore and she doesn't think anyone at DPAC knows as much as me anyway. Maybe there is a Disabled or Benefits Advisory Group somewhere that I could work for after all they may be more sympathetic to my condition!!! Sadly I think all these groups are voluntary which is a shame.

That is a real shame.

Do you know the reasons that you were turned down? Have they been clearly explained so that you have a chance to reply to them? And has your condition worsened? If so, a doctor's letter supporting that might support the idea that since the original tribunal your situation has changed and the condition is now worse. Would that help do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
    That is a real shame.

Do you know the reasons that you were turned down? Have they been clearly explained so that you have a chance to reply to them? And has your condition worsened? If so, a doctor's letter supporting that might support the idea that since the original tribunal your situation has changed and the condition is now worse. Would that help do you think?
    Oh yes I know the reasons why. According to the DWP as long as you can boil a kettle, make yourself a sandwich and walk 50 feet you are fit for a 9-5 stacking shelves!!! It's an issue with fluctuating conditions. The whole process from the form right through to the tribunal doesn't allow for variable conditions it's as simple as that. The best quote I can come up with was from someone on another site which paints the picture perfectly : "Developing Migraine Assisted Vertigo when you are already in work and have an understanding employer is very different from having to find a job with the condition already affecting your everyday life."

Fortunately since taking some new medication last Friday I seem to be a little better. Far from 100% but certainly a little better so I just hope the improvement continues.