Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi, newcomer here.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    I know how you feel as I never really think I am depressed or maybe I just refuse to be depressed (something some people cannot understand) .... I don't really like people either but I think its more I cant be bothered to get close to people or talk silly talk with them.... I don't need them in my life. I love my own space maybe cos that's what I am used to ... I also get so tired but that's cos my mind does not switch off and I have 101 things running through my head whilst I try to sleep.

I know how you feel cos I always tried to fight it and yet I knew deep down I was suffering from some unhappiness in my life which led me to feeling a bit isolated as I did not want anyone in my life and also I am so used to my own company.
    I know exactly what you mean Moonbeam. I've been in denial really that I have a problem because I just always laugh things off but in reality everything is getting to me now.

Unfortunately in the last few days I have been hit with another hammer with my vertigo returning after a 4 month absence which makes job searching far more difficult and I will now have another battle on my hands on whether or not I am fit for work. It's juts one step forward and two steps back right now and it's really becoming never ending with no light at the end of the tunnel. However I had a good chat with my mum this morning and let her know how I was feeling and whilst she is obviously frustrated because there is nothing she can really do I am glad she just listened. I have also booked in with my GP for Friday and will let him know that the vertigo, sleep apnoea and hip pain are really getting to me mood wise so will see what he says. I'll probably talk to my sister as well later as I think bottling this up is not the right way about it.

Glad you've booked in to see your Dr. Do write a list and hand it over if you need to...
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Hi Max and welcome to the forum I can understand totally about everything you've said..the therapy, the comfort of your own home etc. It's hard sometime isn't it. Sometimes I think that I KNOW what I should do, but it's actually doing it that I find daunting. I've recently moved and made myself volunteer to work in our community shop, and help at a weekly lunch for senior citizens (I'm one, but don't qualify yet for the lunch!) but when I'm actually doing it I love it and realise it's what I should be doing! Forty nine is not old Max, you're a relatively young guy! I'd give anything to be 49 again..even 50! I'm 64...but a young 64 if you now what I mean. Go and see your Dr again as the others suggest and see if you can try something different to help you. You've probably got another 35+ years left in the tank, it would be lovely for you if you could enjoy it. Keep posting.

Thanks Flo. I saw my GP Friday and he prescribed me some Amitriptyline but I think that was for my Migraine Assisted Vertigo rather than anything else. I see what you are saying that 49 isn't old but when you are having regular spinning vertigo attacks it's difficult to do anything and I have been more housebound than before this past week. It's fraught with worry because of the financial aspect because these MAV attacks can go on for months.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Vertigo is horrible I get it but in bouts or it happens in certain situations. And your not old I'm 48 next month xx

Amitryptaline is used for all sorts of things - I take it for both depression and nerve pain so it may be that your dr is hoping it'll have a double effect on you. Forgive me if you've already told us this but are you on any benefits?
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

I am really surprised Amytriptaline is used for vertigo.. it made me dizzy and disorientated when I took it for a jaw problem. I hope it helps you

I take Ami too for sleep and pain. It's helped me!
    Vertigo is hideous and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Are there things that you are able to do that you enjoy atm?
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Ami is used for bladder control too. It's a bit of a multipurpose drug.
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Amitryptaline is used for all sorts of things - I take it for both depression and nerve pain so it may be that your dr is hoping it'll have a double effect on you. Forgive me if you've already told us this but are you on any benefits?
    Well on my last bout of MAV which lasted from late 2015 to late 2016 I was having a running battle with the Dept of Work and Pensions regarding a claim for Employment and Support Allowance. To cut a long story short after the draconian Work Capability Assessment it was decide that considering I could make a sandwich and walk 200 metres albeit not in a straight line I was found fit for work, despite the Judge at my Tribunal admitting off the record that she did have sympathy because no-one would employ me with vertigo!!! So since around August 2016 I have been on Job Seekers Allowance and have sent over 300 applications and received three interviews!! From early this year until last week I had been a lot better (and still couldn't find work) but on Monday last week the vertigo hit again big time so ironically I had to cancel an interview because I couldn't get there.

I do have an Upper Tribunal next week because they had an unregistered GP on my panel at the first Tribunal and the law states any GP on a Tribunal panel should be registered but considering it's just a legal re run I can't see how it would be a different outcome. If this vertigo persists then I can only re claim ESA either for a new condition or a present condition has got worse so I have no real idea what I am going to do.

I was ok before this long running battle with the DWP but the while thing has just got to me. Obviously I'd rather find something but it's finding an employer who would have to accept that I may not always be able to attend due to vertigo and also an employer who would have to accept that at work if I have an attack I would need to lie down for a few hours and I wouldn't employ someone like that so who else is going to?!

I think that's where my fear of working again has come from. I knew this vertigo would kick in again and that's the problem. If that interview had been a week earlier I may have been offered the job and then a week later I would have had to ring in sick because of a vertigo attack. Doesn't look good with a new employer does it?!?!

I used to play so much sport but the vertigo killed playing tennis and even though I managed to learn how to play football again I had to stop that in 2012 because of my arthritic hips. I love golf and it's probably where I am happiest on the golf course but swinging a club isn't attractive when your head is spinning, I think I got a mark of 10 for a delightful pirouette when I tried to once and just spun 360 degrees without even hitting the ball !!!!!

The sad thing is that the delightful Dept of Work and Pensions in their "bull in a china shop" desire to get people back to work create another problem with people who have a condition but end up depressed and anxious because they know that down to no fault of their own they know that their condition will hamper them.