Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: peruse with purple.

Morning purple......I have to say that while I understand Maxine's concern for your wellbeing which is commendable, I can't understand this peculiar diet. May I ask a personal question? How much do you weigh? Ian is a Type 2 diabetic. The cutting out of sugary food and drinks I understand, but why - as suzi says - cut out de-caff? If you aren't overweight you can have cream, cheese (within reason), butter, bread - preferably not white all the time - bacon, sausages etc., of course throwing in good veg. is in my opinion a must. Don't beat yourself up too much about it. A good healthy diet can incorporate the things you like. But who wants to eat s**t anyway?? You have a very loving family that wants to see you well. Get a Diabetic Cookbook or Google Diabetic recipes. I'm certain that they'll have lovely curry recipes. You can make favourite things but they'll be 'good' favourite things. Make lots of nice food recipes and box them and keep them in the freezer. Get onto Amazon 'toot sweet' and order a good diab. cook book. You'll be laughing!!....cheer up matey...better well fed than brown bread!!..bit of rhyming slang chucked in there!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

purplefan (13-10-17),Suzi (12-10-17)

Flo has got it spot on there, diabetes is potentially a very serious condition, you can still have cheese and cream unless you've got high cholesterol. Have decaff coffee with one Sweetex (saccharine) in it with some skimmed milk. Cut out puddings, biscuits and sugary drinks and you'll be fine. You can still have fish and chips but go easy on the ketchup.
    70 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

purplefan (13-10-17)

Moderator of Awesomeness magie06's Avatar
    I hope your day is going well for you. Thinking of you and I hope you can make up with Maxine. She really has your best interests at heart.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

purplefan (13-10-17)

I am not over weight and I keep telling Maxine that it is not a diet I am on. She is obsessed. I wasn't on yesterday because we had a huge row (again) about what I can or cant eat and because of the argument I am feeling really low. It should be a simple process but Maxine just wont listen. So having a think about that you guys have said on the subject I am going to take Maxine to the dietitian and hopefully get it into her head I am not trying to lose weight, Just cut out sugar. Things were so bad yesterday I locked myself in my room because I am fed up with the conversations we have it is all about food. My son is staying out of it (thank God) but I cant go on like this for much longer. I am so hungry I just want to keep a check on my sugar levels. HELP!!!!

A popsicle stick makes a great bookmark. But eat the popsicle first. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Yep it is just about cutting down on sugar and eating foods that release sugar slowly such as porridge, wholemeal bread rather than white bread.

Well that's enough of my lecture.

Purple, I get it - truly get it. When I was at my parents in August i couldn’t move without one of them at my side trying to take over whatever I was doing. It drove me mad and, tbh, I was relieved to go home. It was stifling. But they were only doing it because they are afraid for me, even nearly 5 years after my accident. They love me and want to protect me. You could have died and your family must have been terrified. So, yes, she sounds like she’s obsessed but that’s because you refused to listen before and ended up in ICU. She’s determined you’re going to listen this time and is going too far the other way. Take her to the dietitian but also, you need to stop arguing with her over this, you need to be calm and rational and you need to act like a grown man and not lock yourself in your room! That doesn’t help things at all.
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Flo (13-10-17),OldMike (13-10-17),purplefan (13-10-17),Stella180 (13-10-17)

Your bang on paula. I know Maxine must be scared after the way I was acting and eating all that crap. I am trying to put myself in her shoes any how p/doc appointment went well and Maxine was surprised at how deep the conversation went. When we started to talk about food the p/doc was full of praise about how my sugar levels have dropped and he spoke to Maxine about the support she has given me. But he did say that it was okay to have the odd sausage and bacon once in a while. He said that he has a huge fry up once a month and likes fish and chips and he even drinks the odd can of coke. It is when it becomes habit forming everyday that's when it becomes a problem. He gave me a bit of a suggestion that when I fancy a can of fizzy drink, to have a glass of water first then have the sugar free. Ellie trid to keep grabbing his glasses that were round his neck and at the end he suggested that we all goo and see what the dietitian has to say and try and not to take things to the extremes. I think it went well. I am going up the hobby shop after and then to B&Q to buy a new drill. Hope you all have a good weekend.

A popsicle stick makes a great bookmark. But eat the popsicle first. Don't make the same mistake I did.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to purplefan For This Useful Post:

Paula (13-10-17)

Well done lovely. Have you and Maxine spoken since?
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

We are on speaking terms we will see what happens at the dietitian on Monday. Today me and the boy are off to watch Leyton orient play a local derby away at Dagenham and Redbridge. Proper Eastend drama. pie and mash and Jellied eels. We might get the odd pearly king and Queen turn up. so really looking forward to it. Might not get pie and mash but I will get a tub of jellied eels. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefan View Post
    We are on speaking terms we will see what happens at the dietitian on Monday. Today me and the boy are off to watch Leyton orient play a local derby away at Dagenham and Redbridge. Proper Eastend drama. pie and mash and Jellied eels. We might get the odd pearly king and Queen turn up. so really looking forward to it. Might not get pie and mash but I will get a tub of jellied eels. Lovely.
    Never fancied jellied eels but I'd certainly go for pie and mash.