Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Life After Depression

Moderator of Awesomeness magie06's Avatar

Life After Depression

Suzi pointed out that my last post had more than 3,000 posts and that it might be time to start a new one. I'm going to try and be positive and explain what my life is like now that I've come the other side of MBT and gaining lots of tools to help me should I need it again.

It's been a long journey, almost 8 years in fact, and it hasn't always been plane sailing. There have been blips along the road (I could never understand how they called them blips, they always seemed like the end of the world to me), and I've come through all of those scarred and scared that something like that can happen again.

I've been explaining to everyone who will listen, that I actually think that I'm a nicer person now compared to the person I was before I got sick. But I really think I am. I'm more understanding, I don't jump to conclusions about what people are going through, I try to wait and see what people are like, and I think that I have become a better friend too.

I know that Aisling considers me a better mum too. I'm doing more stuff with her, we are going more places and we are generally spending more quality time together. I've not let my size stop me doing anything with her this summer holidays, we've been swimming and to the movies and on Saturday my biggest challenge yet, we are going to go to Aran for the day. It's a challenge because it will be my first time on a boat since before I got sick, and I can't change direction or change my mind half way through the journey.

Thanks for reading this post. Good luck with your recovery and if I can help I'll do my best.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

Amaya (04-08-17),Flo (04-08-17),OldMike (04-08-17),Paula (04-08-17)

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    You've done incredibly well since you joined magie. I am so proud of you.
    Tn prdu, jhami s rcbro

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Flo (04-08-17),magie06 (03-08-17)

I've got a huge grin on my face reading that post! I am so proud of you!
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Flo (04-08-17),magie06 (03-08-17)

I am still in the process of reading your last thread I am about two thirds of the way through haha

Magie you've come on marvelously in the 18 months or so I've known you.
    70 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

I have to ask the question Magie due to the title of the thread, do you consider yourself 'cured' of depression? That you are no longer suffering from the illness?
    The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

I'm so pleased that you're feeling so positive magie. You've gained a lot of tools on your journey to make life more enjoyable for yourself and your family, and should the gremlins poke their noses in, then I'm sure you'll be able to fend them off. Hats off to you. You've worked for it! Enjoy the summer with Ais and take full advantage of your freedom. I'm interested to find out what Aran is like!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

magie06 (05-08-17)

Love the positive thread title. As the others have said you have improved so much, so it is a good title.

We're not evolving were going backwards with caveman mentality and with new technology.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to purplefan For This Useful Post:

magie06 (05-08-17)

Moderator of Awesomeness magie06's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    I have to ask the question Magie due to the title of the thread, do you consider yourself 'cured' of depression? That you are no longer suffering from the illness?
    I don't think I've been cured of depression. But I'm better now compared to what I was. I understand that depression can come back, but I've got tools under my belt to help me should it hit me again.

The title of my thread reflects the mood I'm in since finishing the MBT course. I know my triggers now and I understand if I feel myself slipping again, I know where to go for help. I had none of this information last time.

I'm not naive enough to know that it won't come back, but I'm not the same person who got sick 8 years ago.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

Flo (04-08-17),OldMike (04-08-17),Stella180 (04-08-17),Suzi (04-08-17)

Great answer. Love it.
    The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

magie06 (05-08-17)