Page 98 of 275 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Thread: Flo's Fillosophy

Ahh..thanks guys. I always need kicking! I won the 'Ms Procrastinator 2017' award... I'm going to do as you suggest Mike....I shall get Ian to take me until the lighter nights, then drive myself. Having Glaucoma makes it difficult to drive in the dark. Being in the country we don't have street lights, and they help.

Stella, I don't have the urge to drink really as I know that I'd be back to square one in a matter of weeks. I've seen it happen with others so many times. But lack of meetings leads to stinking thinking as they say, and it can play havoc with your head. I think once I get back into the swing of meetings again I'll be ok. I've got to break through this mental barrier. It's one of these things that you have to do on your own as nobody else can do it for you. But it feels good to know that people care. Thanks all.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

OldMike (13-03-18),S deleted (13-03-18),Suzi (13-03-18)

As you know we have a relation who is an alcoholic and he stayed dry for 5 years then started drinking again and I've seen the damage it has done to him and those around him. I am in awe that you've done it for 33 years. You really are amazing. I said to Marc that you'd stopped for so long and he was also really amazed.

You have to want sobriety as much as you want to breathe in and out. You hit the nail on the head suzi, your relation stayed 'dry' for 5 years. There's a marked difference between 'dry' and 'sober'. Dry, is staying off it. Sober is totally turning your life around and doing it by the book, and that's doing loads of meetings. My sober head isn't as good as it should be, this is why I have to go back to 'the family'. It's a difficult thing to describe. I don't think I'd be too far off the mark if I said that we're complicated people when it comes to mental stuff. I don't know too many people in the fellowship that don't suffer from depression. Is it as a result of our previous heavy drinking?....probably. And I don't know many members that aren't highly sensitive either. Someone at a meeting - sober for yonks - said after another member had shared - who had an angry outburst - that we 'react' rather than 'respond'. At the time I didn't give it much thought, but on examining my own outburst last year with my son, about my car, I did exactly that..I 'reacted' to what Jay said, I didn't 'respond' in an intelligent grown up way. This is a common fault with us. Anyway, I'm rambling now so I'll shut up. Just come back from Honiton having bought a few pots of colourful primulas (?). My cyclamen died a natural death! I also had a pasty! Cheese and onion! Nom nom!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

Suzi (13-03-18)

I don't think you're rambling at all. In fact I find it fascinating - I think because it's a very close family member who just won't stay without alcohol no matter how much it costs him.... I do think you're amazing and I think you're really brave to be so open about it all.

I love primulas and pasties...

I always find that primulas leave a nasty taste in my mouth!!xxx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

Suzi (13-03-18)

I've got some primulas unless the snow finished them off (must check)

I've got 6 (I think without counting) hebe champagne which may have popped their corks as the foliage looks all brown, will wait to see if they sprout.

Apparently you can eat primula flowers, yes really

According to Thompson and Morgan the seed people, you can eat the flowers of primulas.

Polyanthus, Cowslip, Primrose, Primula
    Popular as a garnish on salads. Remove the stalks so they sit open-faced on top of lettuce, cress etc. Crystallise or use in pancakes or cakes. Sprinkle fresh polyanthus blossoms in salads, adding a touch of colour and a sweet taste. Flowers can be crystallised and used as decorations, making them ideal for special cakes and desserts, for example on Mothering Sunday or at Easter.

*Disclaimer eat the above with caution as some people can get contact dermatitis from handling primulas.*

Old Mike says why eat flowers when you can eat apple pie and custard
    71 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"
    ~~~ Please check out the latest QUIZ (Fun and Games > Quiz) I'm sure you'll find it fun. ~~~

Morning!.......Mike, re the disclaimer. My mum went to the doctors with swollen eyes, and after humming and harring for 10 minutes and scratching his head, he asked whether or not she had any primulas in the house.........and she said....yes! Don't think I'll be eating primula flowers any day soon! They are pretty though.

Well it's windy here and we are due some rain. It's OFC today, but thankfully I'm not on the cake rota this week. Just heard that Stephen Hawking has passed away. What a shame. He was a genius and will be sorely missed by the scientific community. Mind you, Brian Cox isn't short of brains either.

I'm feeling a bit more stable today. I'm taking it an hour at a time.xx

I was sad to hear about Stephen Hawkins too. Such a loss to the scientific community and to all those he helped, he inspired and he taught.

Glad you're feeling a bit more stable love. Did you talk to Ian about the Honiton meetings?

I’ve got a wee bit of a crush on Brian Cox

Glad you’re a bit brighter, lovely
    ‘When all else fails, use glitter instead’

Morning flo. Hope your good and well. I'm a fan of Brian Cox. Sad that Stephen Hawkins passed away, such an inspiring man, although I did not agree or understand half the stuff he wrote he was a giant in his field. Have a good day flo.

They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.