Thread: Unexpected Boost

Unexpected Boost

I have mentioned in previous posts that i am trying to get my house in order (literally) I've hacked away some of the undergrowth in the garden, i really do want my garden back and i have started doing some decorating in the house. I don't really know how to describe it but the smell of paint and wallpaper somehow triggers something in my brain, i know that sounds daft and i actually hate decorating, but i just feel like i want to go through the whole house that was my intention anyway but i never expected to be so enthusiastic about it. and i just know that it is the smell that is giving me this boost because every time i open the front door it lifts me, and i am talking about a house that holds so many painful memories that i have until now wanted nothing more then to leave the place and move on.
    this has got me wondering if scents can have a genuine role to play in helping alleviate depression and anxiety. I'm sure people are already aware of these things, but it's something of a revelation to me at least on this scale, it is so good to feel any enthusiasm again for anything even if only for a limited time, and i haven't been sniffing the paint cans either.

That's an amazing post! So pleased for you.

I always think that scents aren't thought of nearly as important as they are both at triggering negative and positive emotions.
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn