Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13th Doctor to be a woman!

Boobs and bras? Purple, do you think that's what us women talk about??
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (17-07-17)

Quote Originally Posted by purplefan View Post
    but i hope we dont get any jokes about boobs and Bras etc
    Wtf? And what if there were? Dude, I've read your 'love scene' so surely you don't feel uncomfortable about and mention of breasts? Hey if we're lucky we might get a few funnies about the menstrual cycle thrown in for good measure cos no sci fi show is complete without quips about the female anatomy and functionality right?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S deleted For This Useful Post:

OldMike (21-07-17),Suzi (17-07-17)

I love a good talk about bras and boobs! I have a 12 and a 13 year old girl - our house is always talking about boobs and bras and menstruation!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I agree that the decision to cast a female doctor has probably come about from the push on representation but there is a REASON they're pushing that... because it's needed. New iconic characters who are female are hard to create, because wide-spread popularity takes time. Creating new shows, selling new books by new authors - this is a risk for TV companies and publishers. We're fighting against literally hundreds of years of strong and inspiring main characters being men in almost every single story that's become part of our cultural consciousness - from Beowulf to King Arthur to Gandalf to Phillip Marlowe to Atticus Finch to James Bloody Bond. So if the BBC want to take a character that has traditionally presented as male (Remember the whole premise of the Doctor is that s/he changes pretty frequently!) then I embrace that as about bloody time!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aspasia For This Useful Post:

Paula (18-07-17),purplefan (19-07-17)

Quote Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
    I agree that the decision to cast a female doctor has probably come about from the push on representation but there is a REASON they're pushing that... because it's needed. New iconic characters who are female are hard to create, because wide-spread popularity takes time. Creating new shows, selling new books by new authors - this is a risk for TV companies and publishers. We're fighting against literally hundreds of years of strong and inspiring main characters being men in almost every single story that's become part of our cultural consciousness - from Beowulf to King Arthur to Gandalf to Phillip Marlowe to Atticus Finch to James Bloody Bond. So if the BBC want to take a character that has traditionally presented as male (Remember the whole premise of the Doctor is that s/he changes pretty frequently!) then I embrace that as about bloody time!
    **stands and applauds very raucously**
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

purplefan (19-07-17)

Fair point well made

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Boobs and bras? Purple, do you think that's what us women talk about??
    No, but the writers might and the last series had grone stale but i hope the new writing team can produce some good stories. I hope we see a more darker Dr. as was supposed to have happened on the last one but didnt.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefan View Post
    No, but the writers might and the last series had grone stale but i hope the new writing team can produce some good stories. I hope we see a more darker Dr. as was supposed to have happened on the last one but didnt.
    I'd enjoy a darker Doctor too, and she's a brilliant actor so I think she could do it. I also can't wait to see if they bring River Song back because I think there would be some serious sparks there...

Quote Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
    I'd enjoy a darker Doctor too, and she's a brilliant actor so I think she could do it. I also can't wait to see if they bring River Song back because I think there would be some serious sparks there...
    Hi Aspasia, first time our paths have crossed, so nice to meet you.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Quote Originally Posted by OldMike View Post
    Hi Aspasia, first time our paths have crossed, so nice to meet you.
    Nice to meet you too. I'm a member from way back when but have recently taken to sticking my head back above the parapet.