Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "acute social withdrawal" *TRIGGERS*

"acute social withdrawal" *TRIGGERS*

I have become very interested in a condition in Japan that normally affects late teens or young adults
    and it is called "Hikikomori" It literally means "pulling inward, being confined. Modern day hermits. I think it is related to depression.
    I realized while watching the documentary that i had similar feelings when i had to retire. I shut myself off from EVERYONE!
    I had it for about two years and it struck me that while watching the documentary that other people might have suffered from it without realizing it.
    Anyway, i would recommend you watch it as it is interesting.

A popsicle stick makes a great bookmark. But eat the popsicle first. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Absolutely! That's my default position. And my dads ....
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

I recognise a lot of that too..
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

I think the latest figures from Japan is that 2% of Japanese male under 23 now have this condition and it is rising. It must be in other countries. It is because people just cant cope for what ever reason and shut away. I wonder if the internet is to play in this because it is a lot easier to shut yourself away when your on line.

A popsicle stick makes a great bookmark. But eat the popsicle first. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I don't know about others but my first shutting away was when I was 16, in 1990. Pre Internet
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

How long did it last for paula?

I've shut myself away on occasions too - I think we all do...
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Quote Originally Posted by purplefan View Post
    How long did it last for paula?
    All my life ...... but I fight against it as much as I can

It is difficult. I was watching another film and really felt for the young man who could not relate to his parents at all. Can i ask if there was a starting point to it? I know you suffer from a lot of pain so i am guessing that had something to do with it. These young men dont have anything worng with them. They just shut themselves away.

I think we all do it to some extent. I know I did when I was at secondary school. I couldn't marry up the "me" I was expected to be at home, the "me" I had to become to survive through school, the "me" I had to be when I was working in each of the pubs I did and the "me" I was when I was with my "home friends".... I just couldn't cope and shut myself away with Puccini, Miss Saigon, Mozart and school books....
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn