Thread: When to increase fluoxetine?

Petrus82

When to increase fluoxetine?

Hi everyone,

I've had a terrible bout of depression lasting around 4 months now. I went to the doctor about 5 weeks ago and was given 20mg of fluoxetine. The doctor said I should see a difference after 4 weeks. It's now been 5 weeks and I do t feel any better. I've also been going to a counsellor. The counsellor doesn't think I should increase the fluoxetine unless I haven't seen any change in 6 mo TGA! This seems an awful long time. What should I do?

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Go back to your gp. They're right. Antidepressants can take 4-6 weeks to start working. Your counsellor isn't trained in medications, your doctor is. It could be that you need the dose adjusting.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Honeyflower
    Some meds take about 6-8 weeks to kick in. I would give it a few more weeks to see if you feel an improvement if not then I would go back to your GP. They might try you with a different antidepressant.

6 months is far too long. Go back to your dr - the very worst that can happen is they ask you to give it a little bit longer and go back in a few more weeks. Your counsellor does not have the medical expertise to be making a statement like that.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Jarre (07-06-17)

Hi and welcome. The others are completely right. Go and talk it over with your GP.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!