Thread: Relapsing

Relapsing

I had situational depression for about 2 years while I was living with my mum, I've since moved into my nans and now at university. I'm struggling to cope with the loneliness of not having people to talk to everyday and I can't tell if my depression is coming back. I've had some symptoms from before, such as:
    - getting weepy all the damn time, over the smallest things
    - eating more crap
    - not leaving the house
    - not caring about deadlines or other important things
    - the feeling of guilt about what I've not done and anxiety about the things that I have done
    - general overwhelmed feeling
    - deep feeling of lonliness
    etc...

These were things things that I've noticed but I think I'm in denial about it coming back. Nobody around me understands or I don't want to dump my feelings onto them, but either way I think its getting worse.

I was on anti-depressants before but they had such drastic side effects that I really don't want to be on them again. Last time I was really nasty and moody to other people while I was going onto/coming off of them and my period stopped the whole time I was on them. As well as the fact that I feel kind of 'less' when I'm on them, like I'm being judged by family and friends.

If anyone has any advice or general thoughts, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Alice x

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Hi and welcome. Your first step is to go and talk to your gp. I know you said you don't want to go back on antidepressants and discuss this with them, there are a lot of different antidepressants out there and another one may suit you better. They can also refer you for counselling which may help. It might be worth contacting your local Mind and see what support they can offer, and student support at your uni is another option.

I find the best thing is to keep talking
    Tn prdu, jhami s rcbro

I've tried counselling before but we'd end up talking about things that weren't relevant to my depression, and while it was nice to get it off my chest, sometimes it felt like I was thinking about the past too much which made it worse.

I'll consider the GP, but I don't want to waist time if it's nothing.

Thanks for your reply

Hi and welcome. It's not a waste of time at all and only a dr can diagnose you. So please, please make an appt. as Jaq says, there are loads of ADs and different people react differently to each one, so you should be able to find something that works for you. Wrt talking therapies, there's a treatment called CBT http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cogniti...roduction.aspx which focuses more on taking situations, thoughts etc and changing the way you react to and manage these to change the outcome itms. It's not about the past, really.
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

Hi and welcome to DWD. As has been said you do really need to head to your Dr for a diagnosis and to get the best help you can.. Not all anti ds work in the same way or have the same side effects, but that needs to be discussed with you and your Dr.

Have you spoken to anyone at student services/student welfare? They should be able to help with counselling if appropriate and maybe some other more practical help too.
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

I don't really want to talk to the student services since I did the same with college and they kind of treated me like it was a problem I could solve straight away. I know the people may be different but I have that feeling that they won't bother too much about it.

Thanks x

But they can help with talking to your tutors etc which might be really helpful when it comes to getting extensions if needed....
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn