Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone comfort eat ?

Cheese, crisps, biscuits..... Oh yes, I'm there too....
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Knight of Spamswotting by Highest order of Chufty Badges Jarre's Avatar
    I have to keep myself busy to not want to binge hence why I don't eat crap when I am at work but when I am home, pain sets in, I try to block things by playing some computer games and find if I concentrate on them I tend to not eat junk but if i am to tired and in to much pain to play them then i tend to binge. I am lucky I have been T-total for 12 years now otherwise that chocolate could have easily turned to alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefan View Post
    Ill get a tub for ylu dolly next time im out shopping.
    Thanks Purplefan, I have been favouring Smokey Bacon but I feel I need to revisit my previous favourite of Texas BBQ

Those are my middle one's favourite... I also love the paprika ones...
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

I have cut out biscuits and gone over to diet or sugar free pop mainly because I'm hovering on the verge of becoming diabetic, though I do love my puddings especially with custard.
    70 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Comfort eating, yep me too. I finally seem to be on the right track to address this issue.

I recently realised that there was a strong element of self punishment driving it as well as the comfort eating bit. I've managed to address that and now I still notice myself eating a little extra for comfort or to soothe anxiety but I've switched from punishing myself with vast quantities of fattening stuff (which I don't even like the taste of) to eating healthy foods and I feel better for it.

The trick was first identifying the emotions, which I did with some advice on here provided by Mitz, and then identifying the thoughts driving the emotions which my therapist helped with. Once I had a clear picture of why I was compulsively eating fatty foods the urge seemed to disappear. The final thing I did was to decide not to calorie count or diet (yet anyway) but to eat as much as I like whenever I feel hungry but only healthy foods. That stops hunger from stepping in and breaking my resolve.

I may relapse at some point but for the last 5 weeks I've lost an average of 4lbs per week without exercise or going hungry. Still over 20 stone so I have a long way to go but I'm accepting the positive. Just as well I live alone though, all that fibre has turned my stomach into a gas factory

Hope that helps.

i think my comfort eating consists of pasta with a ton of parmesan, i do like my cheese lol

everything else is healthier, i binge eat nuts occassionally or treat myself to a take out, thats it really

I comfort eat and then feel miserable about it after.

I alternate between not eating at all and eating absolute junk

I do that too. And the weird part is that no matter if its healtier or unhealthy stuff we eat to much is to much. I am always attacking the peanut butter with a spoon at low times.