Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony's Books

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    UncleChip

Post Tony's Books

I won't shamelessly advertise, but I will mention that I've written and self published 4 books.

I was part of a creative writing forum, which I was told would be a supportive environment. Recently some of the other members of the forum started to make fun of the front covers I had made, saying they were drawn in MS Paint. I tried telling them that I'd used Macromedia Fireworks 8, but they insisted I had used an inferior software package and drawn it in 30 seconds.

Not wanting to be made fun of, I tried deleting the conversation, but I was banned from the forum for doing so.
    I don't need them. If that's the kind of behaviour that's allowed, I'm OK with being banned.
    Their idea of a "good front cover" is just white text on a black background, or something resembling clipart from Office 2000.

Now I'll admit, my designs are kind of plain, but I'm no expert artist and I don't have much of a budget to hire a professional.

Dollydimple
    That's really impressive you've written 4 books. Sounds like you're better off away from that forum if that's how they're going to treat you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dollydimple For This Useful Post:

Knight of Spamswotting by Highest order of Chufty Badges Jarre's Avatar
    Welcome tony, to be honest I absolutley hate elitism and your probably better off not there, doesn't matter what you use, how it looks or how it reads as long as its something you enjoy / like / feel achievement. Far to many people on this rock who think their better than everyone else and their views are what everyone should conform to, whilst hiding behind the safety of a keyboard and computer screen.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarre For This Useful Post:

Paula (06-04-17)

Has nobody told them you shouldn't judge a book by its cover?

Oh come on. Somebody had to say it lol.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to S deleted For This Useful Post:

OldMike (07-04-17),Paula (06-04-17),Suzi (06-04-17)

What type of book do you write?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

UncleChip
    Mainly books for children aged 10-14, but I've got one for a slightly younger audience.

My flagship series is about children aged 12-14 with super powers who live in the North of England in the 23rd Century. They're trying to find out what gave them their gifts while trying to use them to stop criminals and disasters.

My younger audience book is about a 5-year-old girl who wants to prove to her older brothers that Santa Claus is real - but he's not quite the same as all the traditional legends describe him!

I have a fifth book in the pipe-line about a young knight who is the last warrior in his kingdom. He has to save a princess, but it's a comedy / fanatasy with a twist ending that I won't spoil.

I've got boys of that age group and I'm sure they would love to read them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to S deleted For This Useful Post:

UncleChip
    Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    I've got boys of that age group and I'm sure they would love to read them.
    I'm working on formatting the paragraphs to make sure they're indented correctly. Apparently that's important, but it doesn't affect the overall content of the story.
    If you're patient I'll post a link to my work when the changes are finished, but they are on sale now. But I don't know if I'm allowed to advertise.

I could send you the first book as a PDF for free if you like. If that's acceptable in the forum rules.

They sound really cool!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Inbox me