Thread: Tiredness

Tiredness

Hey there.

Im new to the forum, so "Hi" first of all - I will put some info in the introductions section.

Ive had depression for many years, quite possibly for most of my life (though I wasnt diagnosed with it until 2000). I take medication for it and Ive been through therapy, all of which Ive found very helpful.

While I have been diagnosed for a long time, Ive only recently begun to take the depression part of my condition seriously, due to the immediacy of the anxiety symptoms - depression and anxiety often co exist and the anxiety ended up getting more attention than the depression, I guess. Soooo, I have a bunch of symptoms that I think may be related to the depression, but Im not a hundred percent sure.

The one that really gets to me is the tiredness. I dont work presently and I have very little energy, but Ive always tried to push myself through things. Due to recent events, Im not able to push myself through in the same way any more, but I am wondering if the, often debilitating, tiredness could really be part of a diagnosis of low grade depression (my original diagnosis), as it often seems anything but low grade.

I am planning to speak to my doctor about it, but Im interested in what people here have to say - as people who have been dealing with the symptoms of depression as symptoms of depression for a long time, rather than something that one just needs to get over, I would be interested to know whether debilitating tiredness, in your experience, can be part of low grade depression.

Cheers for taking the time to read this, and for any and all information anyone could furnish me with.

Thankyou.

I know what you mean, I sometimes feel my depression is a low groan where my anxiety shouts at me. But both have a massive impact on my life.... and yes, debilitating exhaustion can be a symptom of depression though it's sensible to see your GP to rule out any other reason for tiredness
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

My husband has been complaining of the same thing. He's really having to push himself to not fall asleep during the day. Definitely go and see your Dr about it
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Just lately I feel like I can sleep for England. I know I'm sleeping well at night (thanks to medication) but still struggle during the day at the moment.
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

Thank you for your replies to this.

I thought for a while that it maybe the medication making me feel tired (Im on 40mgs of Fluoxetine daily), but Ive had two doctors say that its unlikely, that its more likely to lift one up rather than make one tired. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this medication? Fluoxetine seems to be the only one that I can take, the others give me too many side effects. Thanks again.

Which other ones have you tried?
    When are you taking it?
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

I have tried Citalopram, Effexor, Sertraline, even a tricyclic and the side effects from them all were horrendous. I take them when I get up.

You have to remember that depression is a chronic illness and that chronic illness can cause fatigue. Could it be that? That you are tired from fighting the illness?
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Techie (06-04-17)

Hi Techie from my experience depression does cause mental and physical fatigue, at my worse it seemed like climbing Mt. Everest just to walk up a flight of stairs.

Even now I seem to lack energy at times especially when stressed plus I can doze off in a chair during the day yet lie awake at night.
    70 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Yes, I think youre right Suzi - its just something that keeps catching me out. I know what you mean, OldMike - the stairs seem to get steeper, don't they? Again, thankyou for your replies.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Techie For This Useful Post:

Suzi (06-04-17)