Thread: Clueless about Medication

sometimesisabelle

Question Clueless about Medication

Hello again,
    I'm Isabelle, I'm 18 and this is my second post. Thank you to everyone who has commented and advised me on my previous post, you have encouraged me to see a doctor.

The thing about my doctor's surgery is that they are very good at saying a lot about nothing in particular, and I fear that some of the doctor's accidentally walked in one day, were mistaken as a doctor and now cannot leave due to the fear of disappointing patients.

I started taking the contraceptive pill a while back, for may reasons but one being that sometimes it was known to balance out hormones and sometimes prevent anger, sadness etc. Unfortunately, it didn't make a huge difference for me.

I haven't taken any anti-depressants before, possibly due to my age, but I'm becoming increasingly willing to. One problem; I am clueless.

I know about Prozac and Citalopram, but know very little except from the fact that they work for some people and don't for others.

I'm looking for medication that can essentially prevent or help to prevent my mood going from okay to depressed in a matter of seconds but also something to combat the frequent paranoid thoughts that no one likes me. Is that even possible to find?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful. I will look them up before visiting the doctors, at least one of us will have an idea of what is going on!

Thank you for reading,
    Isabelle x

we can't really advise on medication but I will tell you that just cos one type of pill works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another. Some may suffer from side effects others get none. It is pretty much trial and error, cos your treatment is as individual as your symptoms. Speak to your GP about it if you are worried.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S deleted For This Useful Post:

magie06 (17-03-17),Paula (17-03-17)

sometimesisabelle
    Yes of course, I guessed that medication was a very individual matter.
    Thank you for commenting,
    Isabelle x

^^^

Additionally, dont be afraid of medication, I know it's not ideal but they're just there to help mend part of your body, like insulin for diabetics.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

S deleted (17-03-17)

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    A big thing to remember is that it's not a quick fix. A lot of people take antidepressants and when they feel no effect after a week or 2, they assume they don't work and stop taking them. You need to give them a decent try to feel any benefit as it often takes between 4 and 6 weeks to start working.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

magie06 (17-03-17),S deleted (17-03-17)

I completely agree with the ladies before me!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Knight of Spamswotting by Highest order of Chufty Badges Jarre's Avatar
    Medication has enabled me to go back into the workforce and do something again, if I wan't on it I wouldn't be able to face work or get out of bed. You should not think it will solve everything because it wont but it may make things a little easier to cope with so you can deal with the issues a little easier

Medication worked for me eventually. Like the others said it takes time, what works for one won't necessarily work for another. But it has allowed me to go back to working with children again. And I love what I do. So take heart. It works but takes time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post: