Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help and advice please

afternoon all iv been to open mind today and they cannot see me untill 2 weeks time also my gp still has not rang me back and this is the second day of no call im sick of feelng this way and do not no where to turn now

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Hang on in there. It may take a while to get the help in place but there is help available. The NHS is so stretched at the moment, particularly MH services. Could you ring for an emergency appointment?
    Tn prdu, jhami s rcbro

As Jaq has said, things are stretched beyond stretched right now - but hang on in there. The NHS has it's faults, but it will get there in the end - call them, just explain (again) that you do feel that you really do need to speak to a Dr and see what they suggest..
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Hi Adam,

I had (have) a similar experience, GP just giving me medication and I got referred to Cognitive behavioural therapy once, which stopped when I missed one appointment (I was having one of my Very bad days). Then the GP retired and I got passed around to a bunch of different ones (Locums I think is the term) who didn't do much except renew prescription and have me fill in a self-assessment form. Finally got a stable GP (who I have other issues with) and they referred me to a counsellor.

Now from past experience and my own condition I wasn't enthusiastic about this but I went along. You can have this feeling of being pandered to and told things that seem stupid or trivial, it's different for everyone I've discovered, but my counsellor has given me advice that I'm trying and things that I can do. It does take a long time to get comfortable talking about your issues, sometimes it's things you've never voiced out loud, sometimes it's because it's a stranger, sometimes it's that you've hidden it from the world for so long that it's hard to drop the mask, as I said, different for everyone.

One of the best things they suggested was to look at a video on YouTube called "Black Dog" (posted by the World Health Organization), it's a 6 minute animation that compares depression to having a ominous black dog in your life. As I watched it I realises that I had some (most) of the symptoms it talked about and you've mentioned. The almost violent mood swings from, if not happy then, normal to despair and hopelessness, the random anger from seemingly nowhere. It made me feel less alone and less broken, I saw that while my condition was still unique to me, others had been through similar issues and experiences.

I went to my next appointment with my counsellor and was a little more open, got more advice, and referred to some things they thought might help.

But a few days later I had an incident, got real low real quick and was going to kill myself, had it planned, ready to go, I'd tried phoning help lines or getting in touch with a long listing of people your supposed to call in these situations, no help, no answers, my family wasn't home that day and I was a mess. Finally got in touch with my counsellor and they talked me down asked what it was that had causes the incident and they said "Right, hang on just a little longer. I'll sort this out and call you back." 20 minutes later, they'd called back, sorted the problem and told me how proud they were that I'd not only called them for help but that I'd held off doing something drastic that day. That made me feel something, still not sure what, but something.

Anyway, the point that I've been missing is that sometimes it can take along time to get the right kind of help from the right people, when you get the kind of help that doesn't suit you it can make you feel wrong or worse in some way or that the person offering it is being insincere or doesn't understand. But keep trying different methods and techniques, find what you feel comfortable doing, what works with you, and most important find the right person to offer that help. Don't like/trust/believe your GP? Try another. Don't get along with a counsellor? Switch. I know I'm making it seem like an easy thing to do, it's not, overcoming the apathy, despair, scepticism or finding the will, motivation or energy can be incredibly difficult, but it helped me and it may help you.

Sorry, as I read that back, I not sure I've address your concerns, but I hope it helps in someway.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RJSmith For This Useful Post:

Cameraman (25-03-17),Jaquaia (09-03-17),Stella180 (09-03-17),Suzi (08-03-17)

thanks rj smith its just hard at the moment i feel a fool needing help but iv been there for others when they been in need now im in need theres nobody

You've got us.
    ".Sometimes, you have to take a leap of faith first. The trust part comes later.

It takes a lot of strength to admit you need help
    Tn prdu, jhami s rcbro

You are far from a fool. It's one of the hardest thing to do - admit you need help....
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

thanks all the comments and support

How are you doing?
    Tn prdu, jhami s rcbro