Thread: Antidepressants

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    colin

Smile Antidepressants

Hello there. Its been a long time since i have been on this website and the truth is it's because i'm feeling much better these days so I'm grateful for that. I had a read of a few peoples posts just now and i really feel for anyone coping with depression/anxiety as I know how destructive it can be.

Although it was a variety of things/people (mainly simply good caring people) that helped me through depression, taking antidepressants did help when I was in a tough place and couldn't think straight enough to get out of the hole I was in. I was just listening to a radio program about medication and had the thought i'd like to share this here. I just remember the hell i went through before starting the medication because of the 'i should be strong enough to get through this on my own' thing. Looking back now that was so unnecessary. I mean we all need a little help sometimes, whether its from a loved one or a coffee to help us get going in the morning and I see taking antidepressants as no different. I haven't taken them for a few years and feel fine. I know what I need to do to take care of my mental health and generally do it.

I especially remember doing research online about antidepressant meds while I was considering it, and as with most stuff online, found mostly horror stories. Now i'm by no means suggesting that they don't have adverse effects on some people, but I just wanted to share my experience with them as being very positive and constructive.

Thats all. I felt gradually more able to deal with the thoughts I was having and didn't feel so strung out. Then when I felt in a stable enough place in my mind and life, I gradually stopped them, under the care of a doctor.

So if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and if not i hope this might be of help to someone. It's not as bad as you think, and as someone who has come through a pretty rough year of depression, i can tell you, hang on in there, it's worth it : )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to colin For This Useful Post: