Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fit for work assessments

First time I was assessed I did it all myself and got turned down, went to appeal and lost. My mistake was to tell them everything I was doing to help myself try to get better. Second time I got help, and just breaking down how my MH affects me day to day to complete the forms was really hard for me. Then the assessment going through it all again was horrible. When you are fighting every day and trying to look on the bright side to reverse that thinking and tell a stranger the real struggles you have to deal with, not being able to leave the house, the days in bed cos you can't face the world, not bathing or feeding yourself as often as you ought to cos it's all too much effort. It's a dreadful experience and so counterproductive to your wellbeing but essential to obtain the financial support you need.
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

The CAB can help, as can DIAL, a MH Professional etc..
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

That is almost identical to my impression of the DWP/PIP process and it's pitfalls. Sorry you had to go through it and hope you can keep doing things to try get better - in spite of the setbacks from the people who are supposed to be supporting you.

This system makes me super mad. What a joke..
    My mum has to go and get reassessed for the stupid PIP thing too in January, but she's schizophrenic and has a CPN nurse to go with her so I think, hopefully, she'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    This system makes me super mad. What a joke..
    My mum has to go and get reassessed for the stupid PIP thing too in January, but she's schizophrenic and has a CPN nurse to go with her so I think, hopefully, she'll be fine.
    It is a horrible process but it sounds like your mum has the right professional support by her side. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Faceless For This Useful Post:

Luna (30-11-16)

I'm still trying to work out DWPs current mind games but if I get to the bottom of it I will let you know
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

Luna (30-11-16)