Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fit for work assessments

Fit for work assessments

Something many of us have to go through, and can cause a lot of distress. Nice to know that it serves a valid purpose...NOT!

https://t.co/vT6T8eHGRK
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

Why am I not surprised ....
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

Fit for work assessments are not fit for.....
    ‘The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.'
    J. M. Barrie

I thought it was a very interesting article - especially as we're in the midst of it all right now... Thanks for sharing...
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Thanks for the article. Here's the problem in a nutshell "The study by the National Audit Office (NAO) found that the Department for Work and Pensions is handing over £1.6bn over the next three years to private contractors who carry out the controversial health and disability assessments."

It's a familiar process - squeeze the funding then hand over responsibility to private contractors whose interest does not lie with the patients well being but for predominantly share holder profit.

Also, it seems that it's easier to claim DWP if you have a physical rather than mental-health "condition" (for want of a better word).

Quote Originally Posted by Faceless View Post

Also, it seems that it's easier to claim DWP if you have a physical rather than mental-health "condition" (for want of a better word).

I'm not so sure that is true. It's all about language and communication if you ask me. If you are able to use the right terminology and express how your illness affects your capability to work it doesn't matter if it's physically or mental. It's a box ticking exercise at the end of the day and a distressing one at that
    J. M. Barrie

It used to be the case that it was almost impossible to get it for a mental health issue - now the questions are much more heavily weighted for mental health.
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

I'm with Stella and Suzi. The difference between my receiving standard rate rate or enhanced rate mobility in my assessment came down to how my mental health impacted on my ability to make journeys. But you have to get the right support/documentation from your Drs
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

OK - I'm probably generalising on the few cases that I'm basing it on. I suppose it's reasonable to assume that many people with mental health issues may not have any support at all and are completing the DWP, PIP etc..forms. What I am sure about is that if you aren't extremely careful with your wording on these forms, you will loose benefits.

*lose (don't know how to edit my post!)