Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a bit of a confidence boost *trigger*

Thanks all. I did actually consider calling the samaritans, but without leaving the house theres no way i wouldnt be overheard, and id got to a point where i couldnt even leave my bed. Im still trying the drs, no joy so far.

Ive been looking at PhDs today. Found a couple that interest me, though i have my doubts about the study species. Not sure how much of a factor that should be.

Are you feeling any better today TS?....what sort of PhD are you thinking of doing?..

Talk to us about the PhD you're thinking about...
    You can email the samaritans as well as calling them... if it helps?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Its looking at the interactions between diet and habitat changes as well as parasitism and farming practises and how that has affected the decline of turtle doves. Really broad and far-reaxhing topic, but id really prefer a different study species. Plus im not sure whether its wise to jump into such a big commitment when im still not mentally stable.

I did try emailing the samaritans a while back, but i didnt find it helpful. What was said in one email didnt seem to carry over into subsequent ones.

Why turtle doves?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Why turtle doves?
    it's just what the study is on. it's an iconic species that's in decline. like i say, i'd have chosen a reptile.

My gut is saying it's too soon for a PhD anyway. if nothing else, i'd like to be a bit more mentally well before i started on something so big, and i don't thik i've had a og enough break from it yet.

Fair enough. Do you have something else in mind to do in between? What about taking your expertise out into the wider world? Is there an organisation where you could work for?

So I've slept on it and I'm not going to go for *this* PhD. I said i wanted a substantial break and even if it doesn't start until September, one year isn't the break i wanted. Also, i dont think i can devote 3 years of my life to a bird I'm not terribly fussed on. If it had been a reptile that'd be a different matter and I'd have leapt straight on it. If i go for it it needs to be for the right reasons and this feels like a partial knee jerk reaction.

In the meantime, jobs. Ive been really rubbish at getting in touch with volunteer organisations and applying for things so far, but i did email the RNIB yesterday to aee what support they can give. Ive got a friend in a similar position so we're aiming to get together and bash iut some applications soon.

So a guy offered to meet me for a drink and so i almost had a panic attack. I guess im too scared to go for anything because im afraid it'll go badly and I'll just come off worse again.

I'm not further on with the housing situation but I've got people helping me edit my CV and ive got a bunch of things lined up to apply for. I've also got the all clear from the clinic but that hasnt stopped me worrying and fretting about every little thing. Still can't get an appointment with my gp.

Overall i feel really really low. Even my job, which i genuinely enjoy, is becoming a chore. Admittedly though, its winter and there's not much to do. Getting a thinly veiled urge to scream or cry mot of the time.

I'm sorry you are still struggling. Any news on the Drs appointment?