Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My update

My update

Its a while since I last came on here. I was dreaming of the forum and woke up so decided to log on. For those of you that don't know me I have recurrent depression syndrome. I have had episodes throughout my life and this latest one started over 5 1/2 years ago. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for over 5 years and I last saw him 3 weeks ago. He's really happy with the progress i have made and so am I. When I look back to 5 years ago I see how ill I really was and now I see how far I have come. So much so he's decided I no longer need to see him and he has handed me back over to the care of my gp. Six months ago I was able to come of pregablin having taken it for the anxiety and panic symptoms. It wasn't easy withdrawing but it was manageable. Last year under guidance of my psych I was able to reduce the venalfaxine significantly to a maintaince dose of 150mg. At my worse I was on 375mg. Reducing venalfaxine is a knightmare for me but I do I very very slowly and I'm proud of how far I have come. I have now been maintaining on that dose for almost a year with very little depression syndrome. When I last saw my psych he explained I have recurrent depression syndrome and he advised the best thing for me would be to continue on the venalfaxine for life. However i still suffer what I think is side effects especially if late taking a dose. I get headaches and fatigue. So he agreed with help from gp I can come of it to see if headaches go. The gp had recently given me amitriptaline for the headaches but sine that doesn't help he suggested stopping that. So my gp gave me a plan to reduce venalfaxine reducing 37.5mg at a time until ready to reduce again. I started this last Saturday and by Sunday my head was pounding and I couldn't think straight and was getting very snappy. I couldn't cope after 1 day so on Sunday went back to my original dose. I feel like an adict. My body can't cope with the slightest change. On Monday my headache was still severe so I called in sick at work and luckily was able to get a gp appointment that morning. He said I'm one of the unlucky ones to get horrible side effects. The last thing I wa is a relapse. The physc has explained all this to me and he said any warning of relapse or symptoms I must go straight to gp and not delay. He helped me to devise an even slower plan which would involve cutting up the 37.5mg tablets because they don't come in any smaller form. I am waiting a few days before I do this. I usually take 75mg twice a day. For my evening dose is will start taking one 37.5 and a half 37.5mg tablet. I am determined to try anything and do it as slowly as possible. To those of you on the drug i want to reassure you that it is a fantastic drug. It's helped me tremendously and changed my life around. Don't be put off with what I'm saying about withdrawing. Everyone reacts differently. It's not easy but I don't regret being on it because I really did need it. I am so much better and so much more confident in myself than I have been in a very long time.

I am waking up a lot more at the moment but I think that because of the symptoms from trying to reduce. Hope my friends on here are doing OK. It's been ages since I checked how you are doing.

That is such a positive post! Well done lovely! You have come so far!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Well done, you have come a long way
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

Brilliant news, Shine. Just a question, venlaafaxine notoriously have severe and fast acting withdrawal symptoms (I've been there, even taking a dose late). Are you sure it's not just that that's causing the headaches?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

HI!...we've never met, but I've just read your post, and I must say that you are being incredibly positive and are doing amazingly well...it can't be easy for you, but you seem to be winning. Well done.

Thanks all for positive feedbacks. I tried again to slowly reduce the venalfaxine. On day 3 now and really finding this hard. Unfortunately getting most symptoms that come with withdrawall but the worse being the pounding headaches. Dh keeps asking is it worth it and why don't I just stay on it. But I really want to try and see if I can cope without it. I don't care if it takes me months. I just want it out my system to see if I can cope without it. My boss at work is aware I am trying to reduce dosage as I told him last week when I called in sick. He seems supportive and understanding. Paula are you still taking it or have you managed to come off it.

Glad they are being understanding at work lovely.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Your post is so positive. Good luck with the reduction, but it seems like you did it once before (although with another med), you can do it again. Well done.

No, Shine, there's no chance I'll ever come off the meds, but I've made my peace with that
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

shine (20-10-16)