Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isolation

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    I have had members here who have had 2 working parents and 3 children living in a 2 bedroomed house because they can't sell their home to buy a bigger one.
    I was stuck in a one bed maisonette with two kids and couldn't afford to get a bigger home. Because I owned it (mortgaged) council refused to help us until I sold it, but if I sold it I was intentionally making us homeless and ineligible for council support. I went through hell not knowing what to do and being on maternity leave after the little man was born money became even tighter and in the end I had to just hand the keys back to the bank because I couldn't afford to stay there and it wasn't fit for our needs. Even then we had to jump through hoops just to get emergency accomodation let alone anything else. The council were happy for for me and my ex a 5 yr old and 10 month old baby to sleep in the car in October!!!

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Its no better on benefits, before I met Jay there could be two or maybe three days a week I lived on just drinking coffee so that I had food for my eldest and my middle one to eat, so I never went out, I had no money for babysitters, no support from family and was somewhere that I hadn't lived very long so very few friends.
    But even now I do isolate myself yet I have support and friends here where I am, I still don't go out unless I have to.
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

I think Social Networking can make you feel more isolated. I dread the family christmas pics, and of the kids first day back at school, and at the moment I'm getting more and more wound up over holiday pics. I would love to go on a family holiday, or take pics of my boys in fresh school uniforms, or videos of them opening presents on christmas morning, but I can't and it makes me feel even more alienated, like I don't fit in this world and makes me wanna retreat even more.