Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twin sister with severe anxiety/depression

The thing about being in an abusive relationship - and this is a case of mental and emotional abuse - is that you don't see what is clear as day to those on the outside as you have no self worth, no self esteem, no friends or family to talk to etc...
    He needs to be told how things are and Paula's suggestion of the TTC website is a brilliant place to start..
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Thank you for your support guys.
    My sister is feeling a bit better lately but today she was feeling off again. I am hoping it gets easier for her to ward that feeling off... and managing it before it takes over because that's what happened last time and I felt hopeless...
    Does any one know of any strategies that are helpful when you have an off day after feeling ok for a few days before that?

Pacing, distraction, asking those around you for support...
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Hi Nicole..nice to meet you, I joined in March this year so we haven't met before. Sorry to hear about your sister. It's a miserable time for all of you. I can only echo what everyone else has said. However, my CBT counsellor recommended a book called 'Depressive Illness: The Curse Of The Strong, by Dr Tim Cantopher. I plus others have found it a great boost. It's a book you can maybe read first, then maybe read - a few at a time - the many positive suggestions in the book to your sister...and then give it to her BF! Her being in bed and being exhausted as the girls have said is typical as you know, and is natures way of dealing with it. I'm assuming her Dr's are putting her on new AD's. I can't understand her BF's ignorance regarding her medication! Loved one's being there for her is the best support. She'll get better. It's just coaxing her to set little tasks for herself each day. She's so lucky to have such a lovely sister!..you take care of you too though.xx

Hello Nicole,surely if your sisters boyfriend can't be educated to understand your sisters needs then this can't be along term relationship anyway.I think the focus should be on talking to him.There is so much more help out there now and the stigma of depression is being lifted.I hope he will try and change his thoughts.