Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with anxiety

Dealing with anxiety

This isn't a self help guide. Recently I have dealt with considerable anxiety. Sometimes it is about specific events sometimes it is 'free floating' about nothing specific. Sometimes that is more difficult to handle. I haven't run away from those feelings although I have felt like it. I have been carrying diazepam around in my handbag but I haven't used it. Anxiety plays cruel tricks like making you believe that the worst thing will happen. It usually doesn't. The anxiety can take your breath away or give you an upset stomach.
    Determination for me has been the key and a refusal to give in. I also believe in deep breathing and a belief that normal feelings will resume soon. They usually do. On Tuesday my coping strategies will be tested to the full. I am travelling to London again with OH on the Jubilee line and District line.
    Today my lovely friend collapsed outside the Church. His legs gave way and he was a few steps away from my car. People from the Church supported until the ambulance came. My anxiety was moderate but he couldn't get up and if some of the men from the Church helped him into my car what then if he was unable to get out on his own ? We have had some near misses before when has nearly fallen but somehow managed to stand on his own ? He has had an afternoon in hospital but is now ok.

I have been suffering considerable anxiety for the last few weeks, and free-floating is a good description; it doesn't really have any reason to be there. I've had to resort to Diazepam to help me out, I am taking bigger and bigger doses to get things under control. Anxiety can be crippling and terrifying and massive respect to you for going on the Underground on Tuesday.

I bet when an actual crisis occurred outside church today, you were calm, you knew what to do, you concentrated. You needed that adrenalin rush to sort things out and that's what it's for. It's getting rid of adrenalin when it's not needed is the issue.

I do hope your friend is ok, and have the confidence to know that if he falls again, you will know what to do.

I am glad that you had help with your friend. It can be really scary when things like that happen.
    Marc's anxiety has been all over the place over the last few weeks and he's also carrying diazapam around with him too. It's so hard trying to support him when so often it doesn't have an obvious trigger....
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Anxiety's the worst. It takes over my whole body. It feels like my insides are crying but I have no way of sharing this with people as they'd think I was weird. I haven't been prescribed any meds for it. Do they work?

Each person who has had medication will have a different effect. Some work for some and not for others etc...
    “You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
    - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Meds do work, some ADs also help with anxiety. But one thing I've learnt very recently (after a lifetime of mental illness) is that the experts are right. Generally, changing the way you think is just, if not more, important as meds.
    I believe if you wear enough pretty lipstick, sparkly jewellery and great shoes, no one will notice the size of your ass

Yeah, good advice, Paula - I've been watching some videos on You Tube regarding how depression is simply uncontrolled thoughts that we need to stop giving attention to. Have a look and see what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbvYtywgQIs

Retired Viking, holder of the cape of spangly awesomeness & holder of the amulet of knowledge of the magic bourbon biscuits Emmie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Generally, changing the way you think is just, if not more, important as meds.
    This! I found really good proper CBT was really life changing! I chanfed the way I behaved we changed the way I thought, very slow progress for me ad only for one specific thing but I've been able ot apply principals and it's made a difference
    Mara: Sometimes you're the cart, sometimes you're the horse...
    Me: Sometimes you're lying in the cart with a cold compress on your forehead...

Deservedly declared winner of Quiz 33 and taking bragging rights of that seriously.

I agree on the changing the way you think. That is SO important. You most of the time believe you can't when you actually can. Social anxiety on the other hand, you believe everyone thinks the absolute worst of you right away, but they actually don't even think that much of you at all.

I can really relate though. My experience with anxiety has been a bit of a weird one, I used to have selective mutism. I would NEVER say a word to anyone unless I really trusted them. This was so hard to cope with through high school. But it's actually due to high functioning autism/aspergers. Anyway, I'm now an extrovert and I don't care what anyone thinks anymore, I'm just so done with that. All I did was apply the same thought the OP had and just force myself into things and with time I stopped caring about them. But, when you don't go outside for a long time or throw yourself into things and that's when it comes back and it usually comes back in big bouts and it takes more effort to get rid of it than just being active/social on a weekly or daily basis. It's not worth hiding away or months at a time.

The upset tummy thing though - I find if I drink a lot of water before doing something scary it really helps. I have no idea why it helps but it does. That and breathing and NOT thinking a billion bad thoughts a second.

The thing about anxiety is that you're always carrying it, and no one ever tells you how to let it go. What has helped me the most has been CBT therapy.