Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Venlafaxine

cloudy
    Thanks. I hope so too. It is reassuring to read something positive. Obviously people online are more likely to rant about bad experiences.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudy For This Useful Post:

Suzi (14-10-16)

Before venalfaxine xl I was on citalopram then mitrazapine then dulozetine then the venalfaxine longer acting before moving to venalfaxine xl. I was also on a anti physchotic when I was my most ill. I think it was called quitapine but can't remember spelling and was on zopiclone for sleeping. I recently came off preglablin which was prescribed for anxiety. Around 15 years ago I was on fluoxetine which didn't work so was put on venalfaxine which did work. This is why this time I was given venalfaxine because chances were it would work again. Venalfaxine has been great for me both times. Got my depression under control and has enabled me to getc back to work and live life again. For anyone taking venalfaxine the best advice is don't miss a dose, take it around same time every day and always discuss any worries with gp. Withdrawing for me is hard and sometimes I curse it and wish I was never given it. But then when I start thinking that I look back and realise I needed it and it really has helped me get my life back on track.

cloudy
    That is definitely reassuring. Can people give me an idea of dosage?

That's almost impossible to answer as everyone reacts differently. Some take 37.5 mg, I take 375mg which is the highest dose. You and your dr can only see how you react to the drug.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

It's very dependent.. My husband was started on 37.5 then 37.5 twice a day and is on 75mg twice a day now. But you need to talk to your doctor as it's all dependent on how you react and how it affects you.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

cloudy
    Going to speak to doc soon. The impression was that they would put it up quite quickly. Was really wondering what was regarded a relatively common dose.

I don't think there's a common dose. It really does vary that much from person to person
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Dosage is dependent on the person and their symptoms, however I believe most doctors start at 37.5mg and go up in 37.5mg stages, and aim for about 150mg as the first-line therapeutic dose, this would match what Suzi says about her husband and also what happened to me.
    But like Paula the dose it can go to 375mg. Just 37.5mg gave me horrible side effects and by the time I got to 150mg I was pretty much unable to do anything so it was not the medication for me.
    Let us know how you get on. Don't be afraid to ask the doctor their opinion on doses.

cloudy
    I will report back after I see my GP.

Thanks. It's always good to keep in contact and we do generally care about how you get on.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!