Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soap Making

Trying hard

Soap Making

Does anyone do this or done this?
    Is it easy enough to do? and is it expensive to start out?

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    I can and have make soap, I sell handmade soaps and bathbombs, shower mousses etc.
    It can depend on which type of soap you want to make on how easy it is, also there are rules and regulations if you want to sell it or give it away.
    I buy mine wholesale as the costs for safety certificates aswell as ingredients if you need to buy them in bulk can be prohibitive.
    Also there are safety precautions to take when making some types of soap.

Its wonderful to make and even more to use and I love making it and it is easy once you understand how.
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

OldMike (14-05-16)

Trying hard
    It was just the basic nice smelling easy to make soap I can make for home with the young one

I would go with the pre-made base and add your own colours and essential oils/fragrance oils

Cold process soap is not a good one to make with children about or animals.

Bear with me and will find some tutorials for you.

Basics you would need

glass measuring jug
    moulds silicone ones again are good
    spatula's I prefer silicone ones
    Weighing scales
    Ingredients such as soap base, colourants, these can be natural or artificial, fragrance oil or essential oil,
    a mixing bowl.

Bathbombs are also a great idea to make with children, my youngest loves bathbombs.
    Also bath salts.
    Lip balms
    also you can buy the base ready made to add fragrance and colour to for shower gels, bubble bath, shampoo's, moiturisers,

Here is a site that sells the basics of what you would need
    http://www.justasoap.co.uk/soap-maki...ur-soap-bases/

Please don't make cold process soap with your little one, it uses caustic soda which can be dangerous, but the pre- made base on the melt and pour soaps are ideal to make with children

Here is a video on how to make soap, but there are many many ways, if you google how to make melt and pour soap and there will be lots of videos on youtube aswell

If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

OldMike (14-05-16)

Trying hard
    Oh Wow that is so helpful, Thank you very much

Bathbombs never thought of those, he loves them in the tub, I think we are going to be very busy, definitely wont do the cold process one with him

Thank you so much

Your welcome there are lots more tutorials out there and a massive amount of recipes, I hope you have lots of fun with your little one.
    Bathbombs are easy to make and can be made using lots of different moulds not just the round ones

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

OldMike (14-05-16)

Trying hard
    Thank you , so much fun to be had, I had seen a few tutorials but wanted to know if they were easy enough to do :D
    Sometimes these things look so easy but end up being a disaster, looking forward to trying them

It can take a few goes to get things right, but its fun learning and you also learn what scents you like that way aswell.
    Here are some links with some lovely recipes these are from soap queen, I wouldnt order from her unless having to as she is in the usa so postage and customs costs can mount, but you can follow the tutorial

melt and pour recipes
    https://www.soapqueen.com/category/b...and-pour-soap/

Bath fizzes bath bombs
    https://www.soapqueen.com/category/b.../bath-fizzies/

lip balms/lipsticks
    https://www.soapqueen.com/category/b.../lip-products/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

OldMike (14-05-16)

Trying hard
    Ah right yeah cost mount with postage quite a bit

but oh wow they are amazing, love them, they look amazing, wishing we could smell them through the screen lol

Lol there so many scents that can be put together aswell.

You can get all the ingredients in the uk though