Thread: Private doctors/prescriptions

wheelybin

Private doctors/prescriptions

I need to visit a GP for escitalopram.

Does anyone know what the position taken is by private GPs if you present with a mental health issue in the sense of do they insist on knowing your NHS GP's details?

The reason I ask is NOT because I am trying to do anything illegal, it's because I don't want this episode on my medical history, for complicated reasons I won't go into. I'm just enquiring as to how private doctors register/process their patients, and whether it is inevitable that a visit to a private doctor will be passed back to the NHS GP, or not.

Or to put it another way, is it possible to tell a private doctor that you would prefer discretion and for them not to pass it to your NHS doctor if you so request?

Thank you.

I have absolutely no idea, I'm trying to find out though...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I've found a document by the BMA which seems to suggest that you would need to provide your consent for the private doctor to speak to your nhs one....

Are NHS GPs obliged to provide patient information to private practitioners?When patients self-refer to private practitioners, this is frequently followed by a request to the GP forany information that might be relevant to the treatment in question. The exchange of informationbetween those providing care for a patient, including liaison between NHS and private practitioners,is important.
    • GPs’ primary concern should be for the interests and safety of their patients, with due regard toconfidentiality.
    • Good communication between colleagues, with the patient’s consent, is required so that medicalinformation can be exchanged on the basis of a clear ‘need to know’ in connection with the care ofthe patient. This is in line with the GMC’s guidance, which states that ‘sharing information withother healthcare professionals is important for safe and effective patient care’.25
    • NHS GPs should provide relevant information on request about the patient’s medical history orcurrent condition to other doctors providing care, including doctors working in the private sector.
    • Patients should not be made to feel that they need to withhold information about private treatmentfrom their GP for fear of losing their entitlement to NHS care.
    • If the GP is aware that treatment is being sought privately and has information that might affect thesafety or outcome of the treatment, this should be shared, with the patient’s consent.
    • Failure to provide relevant information when the patient’s consent has been obtained could result ina complaint against the GP – either to the GMC or through the courts – if the patient is harmed asa result
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

wheelybin
    That's very useful, thank you, it's much appreciated.

I am pretty sure when I signed up with my private psychiatrist that I had to say who she was allowed to share information with. Check with the psychiatrist. However, I needed my GP to write a referral letter so I could see a private psychiatrist. If your psychiatrist issues a private prescription for your medication, you will have to pay full price for the meds. Are you prepared to meet the costs?
    Last edited by rose; 28-04-16 at 02:36 PM.

wheelybin
    Quote Originally Posted by rose View Post
    I am pretty sure when I signed up with my private psychiatrist that I had to say who she was allowed to share information with. Check with the psychiatrist. However, I needed my GP to write a referral letter so I could see a private psychiatrist. If your psychiatrist issues a private prescription for your medication, you will have to pay full price for the meds. Are you prepared to meet the costs?
    That's interesting. I potentially could lose a fair bit both in financial terms and enjoyment-of-life terms if my current depressive episode is logged with my NHS GP. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for it not to happen.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It might be possible to get a quote at a pharmacy for the medicines you expect to be prescribed before you are issued a prescription, that way you can decide in advance if you can afford it.
    I know mine would cost in excess of £250 per month to buy privately, on the NHS is 3 x £8.40 per month.
    I've had quotes for private psychiatrist ranging from £280-£350 per hour.
    It's a big financial commitment.

Can I ask why you wouldn't want your NHS GP involved. Do your employer ask for your medical records and does it effect your job?

mitz
    Hi, I just googled this http://theindependentgeneralpractice...formation.html
    The IGP is designed to compliment your NHS service, not replace it. With the patient’s consent we regularly update NHS GP's with relevant information about patient care. However, should a patient not wish us to share information with their NHS GP, we will respect those wishes.

So, it looks like they don't have to consult your NHS GP if you don't want them to, which I was quite surprised about. They would still need to adhere to the legal side of things (eg. mental health act, mental capacity act etc), for anyone who falls under that.