Thread: SSRIs and Anxiety

Anna

SSRIs and Anxiety

I started taking 20mg of Citalopram again last Thursday and feel really anxious today. I've taken it a few times before in the past, as well as other SSRIs, and thought I knew what to expect in terms of side effects, but have never felt like this before.

My heart's been racing all day, i'm shaky and I feel really jittery and on edge. Ive not done anything stressful or strenuous at all, but i feel more anxious than i ever do normally. Is it normal to experience different side effects from SSRIs each time you take them?

I'm worrying that something's wrong, but know my worry could be just down to the anxiety. I'd normally do some exercise to make me less stressed, but am too scared to do any at the moment as my heart rate feels so high. Obviously I'll make a doctors appointment if it continues, but just wanted to know if its normal and I'm overreacting. Thanks.

When I first started taking Citalopram I had similar side affects and you can add paranoia, nausea, headaches, and dizziness to the list. Usually these symptoms will die down after a couple of weeks (although I was rough for 6 weeks) so stick with it if you can.

Anna
    Thanks for the quick reply Sorry yes I have nausea, headache, insomnia, dry mouth and no appetite, but I always get those at first for a few weeks. Just not had this heart racing thing before, Maybe I've just been lucky in the past. Is horrible though, I feel like I'm on the verge of a heart attack. Know I need to try to stop thinking like that but is easier said than done at the moment.

I genuinely thought I was gonna die when I first took them. Citalopram is it's the only medication I've had an unpleasant experience with and when I tried them again later on, after varies changes I was put on 10mg initially to minimise any problems and I was fine that time around.

Anna
    Thanks, that's really helpful to know. I've experienced panic attacks before, but this is worse. Hopefully it won't last too long.

Sweetheart, it might be an idea to get it checked over/mentioned to your GP..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post: