Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zopiclone

Starla

Zopiclone

Wondering if anyone has any experience taking zopiclone to help with sleeping?
    Dr prescribed 14 3.75mg tablets yesterday. Advised to take one per night for a week to try establish a more normal sleep pattern and to reserve the other 7 tablets for as and when required. He advised that they were only a short-term use medication and they can lead to dependency, but worth trying to establish regular sleep.
    When I got home with prescription there was no patient information leaflet with meds so I googled to find one from makers and came across some rather alarming comments regarding withdrawals and addictive nature of them and I'm now very reluctant to even try them.
    I know medication is different for everyone but just wondering if anyone has used this particular one short term with success?
    Thanks in advance

Yes, I have. Tbh it was a blessing - when you haven't slept properly in a long time, it's wonderful to get some sleep. Yes, they're potentially addictive but your dr is avoiding that with his instructions.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Starla
    thanks Paula. My sleep depravation is high right now, literally 2 hours max a night. I don't feel sleepy at all though but constantly exhausted. The other reason I was reluctant to take them was because it was just me & my daughter in the house. Worried they make me sleep through alarm for school etc. I am going to take one Friday night and she's how I get on and feel next day. Thanks for your input.

I completely agree with Paula. They can be addictive, but just be sensible with them...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Anna
    Hi, I took them every night for 2 weeks recently for exactly the same reason as you've been prescribed them, to help re-establish a normal sleeping pattern. I was having real trouble sleeping before and was really strung out about it. They worked really well for me, it was such a relief to be able to sleep properly again.

I took my last one about 2 and a half weeks ago and have had no problems with sleeping since then. I had no issues whatsoever with stopping them either, I think it's generally with regular long-term use that you might have more of a problem. Hope you find them helpful.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:

I've used them in the past but I'm not a fan of using them. At 3.75mg it had no affect but at 7.5mg I slept like a baby but the following day I struggled to stay awake. I now use mirtazapine at nights which helps me to sleep.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to S deleted For This Useful Post:

I was told, as I had the same concerns as you (I first took them when my youngest was a baby) that zopiclone is designed to get you to sleep, not keep you asleep so, in theory, you should wake at sounds itms
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Starla
    Decided to take one last night at 9:50, done dishes and went to bed, lights out no tv phone etc. Was still lying awake at midnight. Then every hour until 4am and finally gave in and got up at 5:20. Ended up spending rest of day back in bed exhausted after both am/pm school runs.
    Have just taken again tonight, hoping for a good nights sleep - in desperate need.

Hi Starla, if the 3.75mg tablets don't work I suggest you go back to the doctor on Monday and tell them that.
    Is there anything particular keeping you awake at night, are you worried about anything or will your brain just not stop?

Starla
    Not much success again last night went to bed after taking it, lights out etc still lying awake hours later and woke up every hour again.
    Rose a mixture of both really, I've never been a great sleeper but right now stressed out with some personal stuff and bedtime is worst trigger. My daughter is so upset at bedtime because she desperately misses her dad (who is currently refusing to see her) that I get so worked up trying to settle her.