Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I have depression?

thatsthat
    Hi all
    Over a year since I posted. flip! I'm still here! not depression free but OK (don't want to jinx it!) Maybe I did read into somethings that I shouldn't have and for that I apologise, but that's where I was at that time and to be honest it's hard to remember who I was then and how i am now. Depression seems to ebb and flow with me, never gone but at different levels. Stuck in my head that I had to reply and apologise.
    Thanks for listening, good luck all.
    Jeff

Hi Jeff, it's good to see you again
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Hi Jeff, as Paula says it's lovely to see you again!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Ratherblue2
    maybe not,your just feeling sad.Everyone has the right to be sad for a few days for even weeks,but from what i know if you have been feeling extreme sad for more than a month you will probably be better to visit a doctor for help.

Welcome back

thatsthat
    Thank you all, even since april my mood has dipped and im in my dark place and my anxiety is sky high. My tolerance of people is 0 at mo and workplace feels like its killing me I so exhausted. Probably see dr this week, but seems to be prozac to cymbalta to whatever and always end in same place. Cant take anymore sick days, drink has been sustaining me last few months, I know its no good but gives me hour or 2 of relief but ive never thought more of a finding a way out than I have lately. Hope your all fairing better than me. J

If you are using alcohol to self medicate then to be honest I'm not surprised things aren't great. Alcohol is a natural depressant. It reduces the way that meds can work - not to mention what it's doing to your insides. Alcohol also affects social issues - hence why your tolerance is low etc etc etc.. When you go to the Dr please be honest about how much you are drinking...
    How much are you drinking?

thatsthat
    Hi
    Not stupid amounts, went to drs and was honest, prescription came out again prozac and cymbalta. Only question I was asked was have I been hospitalized. If I haven't I suppose im low risk? To get help am I supposed to breakdown and cry?, i just haven't got the energy for that. Ta Jeff

Sorry Jeff... Can you call ahead to book your next appointment and ask for it to be with someone who has a special interest in mental health?

Exactly how honest? Can you print off your posts here and show them to a doctor? Do you keep a mood diary that you could take to an appointment? It's hard to be as honest as we need to be in the space of a 10 min appt but having it written down can shortcut that conversation effectively
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.