Thread: CBT

Anna

CBT

Hi, I've had a phone appointment with my doctor again today, after my not so successful appointment a few weeks ago

My sleep's much better now and even if I can't sleep I've somehow managed to stop worrying about it so much. The doctor suggested I try CBT one more time, so I've said I will. I had my last lot of sessions about 5 years ago. I've not had much success with it before, but I'm feeling fairly positive at the moment, so am perhaps in a better place to try it than I was previously. I do think some of it is down to luck as to whether or not you get a good counsellor, but hopefully I'll be lucky this time(!) I'm having it for depression and social anxiety. I know it can be really helpful to some people, so was just wondering if anyone here had found it useful or had any success with it? Thanks.

I've had limited success with CBT too and I think you are spot on when you say the two biggest factors are seeing the right therapist for you and timing. Various things can make us less willing or able to participate in certain therapies and it can't work if you are pushed. It's not just attending for a 1 hr session a week, there is the homework and continuous practice of the methods shown.

Fingers crossed that this time you have a better outcome

Anna
    Thanks Stella Yes, I think I wasn't as open to it as I should have been before. I know more or less what to expect this time to so am more prepared, hopefully!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:

Flo (11-04-16)

Hope it works for you this time! You are sounding positive about it which is fantabulous!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Flo (11-04-16)

Well done for talking to your dr, and being willing to give CBT another go
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

I've had one session of CBT and my next one is next Monday with a different counsellor (5 weeks between those 2 sessions) so can't really say if it helps me or not yet.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Anna
    5 weeks between sessions sounds a long time. Was that because they were off over Easter? Still sounds quite poor though.

The last counsellor I had resigned midway through my sessions with her. Don't think it was because of me though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    5 weeks between sessions sounds a long time. Was that because they were off over Easter? Still sounds quite poor though.

The last counsellor I had resigned midway through my sessions with her. Don't think it was because of me though lol
    She said we like to make appointments every 3 weeks then looked on the computer and said oh it'll have to be 5 weeks and it'll be a different counsellor.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Anna
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike View Post
    She said we like to make appointments every 3 weeks then looked on the computer and said oh it'll have to be 5 weeks and it'll be a different counsellor.
    Sounds frustrating. I hope it goes well anyway.

Like stella i have had limited success with CBT but i would say if you want to get the best out of it, go head first into the sessions. it can be rewarding but it can also be a challenge. Hope it works out this time.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to purplefan For This Useful Post: